cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-40960-37914 - Database {Database_Name} is configured to maintain transaction logs.

Telerent
Level 2

We are receiving this warning and would like to eliminate it.

V-79-40960-37914 - Database MySQLDB is configured to maintain transaction logs.  Transaction log bac...

I understand that this is intended behavior in Backup Exec 2010R3 which is the version we are using.

We are not performing Log Backups through Backup Exec because Transaction Log backups and Flushing are being handled through SQL jobs by the DBA.

I have already seen numerous articles saying (as shown below) that you can disable this feature using a registry key on the SQL SERVER.

I have set this registry key to 0 on my SQL Server but I am still receiving the error on each backup.  Does anybody have any idea why the registry mod might not be working?

Thanks in adavance.

From -> http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126063

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\SQL Server\Number of Non-Log Backups Before Warning

The default value is a decimal value of 10

Increasing this value will increase the number of full database backups it will take to display the exception

Setting the value to 0 will disable this exception from ever occurring.  Symantec does not recommend setting this value to 0"
7 REPLIES 7

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If I remember correctly you will have to set this registry value on the Backup Exec media server.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...here's the TN around this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126063

...and the registry entry is made on the SQL server!

Thanks!

Telerent
Level 2

I am already aware of the TN as it is mentioned in my original post.

Yes, the TN says that the Reg Entry is on the SQL server not the media server and that is where I made the change.

The reason for my post is that I am still receiving this warning even after modifying the reg key, per the TN, on the SQL Server NOT the Media Server.

At least it is only a warning and an annoyance.  But, I would really prefer not to be pulled-up on an audit for repetitive issues with backups even though it is an easily explained event. And, it just gives me an extra ticket to hassle with every day.

I understand Symantec's "good intent".  IMHO, this setting should be more easily changed and on a per database basis to accommodate situations where you might have a mix, on one server, of Full Recovery databases with different maintenance strategies.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you restart the BE remote agent service on the SQL server ?
(The article does not mention it, but it's worth trying it)

Telerent
Level 2

Duh.  I thought of this in the car on the way to the office and then forgot by the time I created the post.

If only I could learn to eat, drink, read me emails and make notes while driving I owuld be good-to-go...

I'll give it a restart and let everyone know.

PS - I actually did talk to the DBA about restarting the whole server but that's a major issue since we are a 24x7 shop.

Telerent
Level 2

Well, I restarted the agent and I am still having same issue.  Tested on more than one server and same thing.

Is there a way to get Symantec to weigh in on this one?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...hit the support flag for you, but if you have support with Symantec, consider opening a support call with them, and post back with the solution if they get 1 for you!