cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-40960-38467 - Virtual machine "ServerName" has been excluded from the backup because it must be put in a saved state to back up.

kforfa
Level 3

Running a Hyper-V GRT backup to disk.  I have three SQL servers but only one failed with the above error.  The one that failed is our main SQL server and is always online.  Other forums suggest unchecking the setting "Exclude virtual machines that must be put in a saved state to back up."  If that were the case, wouldn't all the SQL servers fail since they were all setup the same?  Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Nosvarato
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Can you check that the Hyper-V integration Components for the version of Hyper-V are installed on the VM?

kforfa
Level 3

Capture.GIF

Settings from VM...

This only started happening recently.  No changes have been made to the server.

kforfa
Level 3

Anybody??  Should I or should I not uncheck the setting "Exclude virtual machines...." when backing up Hyper-V servers using GRT?

Ramprabhu
Level 3

Hi,

If this still an issue can you please send me the system configuration of the hyper-V guest machine. 

*Also, check if you have any dynamic disk configured on the guest machine, if yes those disk needs to be converted to basic disk because snapshots (VSS snapshot) will not work with dynamic disks.

*The VM guest needs to have Integration Services installed, enabled, and running (COM System Application Service, Distributed Transaction Coordinator Service, and Volume Shadow Copy Service). Also review the VM settings in Hyper-V, the 'backup' option needs to be checked.

Let me know if this was helpful

Thanks,

Ram

lmosla
Level 6

make sure that Backup Exec is up to date with all of the Live Updates, also, consider upgrading to Backup Exec 2010 R3  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66724 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are going to quote from

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209419

then you should provide the link to this document.  Otherwise, others may think that you are plagarising.