cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-33039 - Error - Mount failed. User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.

HerbertK
Level 4

Each workday I make a scheduled full backup to tape storage of only folders that change havily during the day.

First the Exchange database is being written to tape, than (append) the second job, that backs up specified folders is started. This worked fine for some months, but yesterday and today both jobs suddenly fails.

In the joblog I see "V-79-57344-33039 - Error - Mount failed. User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation." for bot jobs.

On top in these messages I see the first items where it is failing, the first job for the Exchange database, the second for the first 2 folders in the job.

I've looked this issue up on this site, and see similar questions being asked, but no real solutions? Im using Backup Exec 2012.

I tried to alter the first job and do a testrun (never have used this before), to see if I could get a clear message about what was going  wrong exactly.

However the testrun failed rather quick (within 5 minutes) and in the Job log window I got the message: "Final error: 0xe0008703 - The test run has detected a potential problem. See the job log for details".  But I already am looking at the Job log (at least that is the name of the window I am in)!  Where do I have to go to get the specified error message?

Anybody a clue?  If you need more information please let me know..

Kind regards, Herbert

18 REPLIES 18

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I am guessing the job filled up the tape full and was waiting for a blank media , if it could not find any it cancelled itself .

Is the tape used in this job got filled up entirely?

edit :

for test run failing

https://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH28862

HerbertK
Level 4

The first job will fill up the tape for maximum 40GB  (using 400GB tapes). So this could be possible for the second (append) job, must most certainly not for the first job...?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to backup the files before Exchange?

Thanks!

HerbertK
Level 4

I just started the second  job with "Run now" and it got back with same message withing 6 minutes with the next message:

"Drive and media mount requested: 8/7/2013 1:15:04 PM V-79-57344-33039 - Error - Mount failed. User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation. "

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I guess you are seeing for the second job right?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check your Append/OPP settings:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH19835

Thanks!

HerbertK
Level 4

I had placed a comment (copy from the log) I got after 6 minutes when running the second job, but Symantec have to review it before it is visible here?

HerbertK
Level 4

Could be that the media(tape) could not be overwritten again in a few days, but if a job fails I assume this flag is not set?

I now have put a spare tape in the drive, and asked to do a Inventory and I could see the tape named "Reserve" under Media properties. That runs now for half an hour, and about half way (20GB) , so I want so see if this job will finish.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the job is appending and something goes wrong tape drive could not write an end marker

Such tapes will show end marker unredable in the storage /devices tab

You cannot append more to such tapes

You can only overwrite to such tapes or erase them as the software would not know till what point the last job has appended the tape.

HerbertK
Level 4

The first job (exhange data) was succesfully written to the "Reserve" tape.

I now want to do the same but than for the tapes used yesterday.

So if I would be sure that this tape can be overwritten again, I have to change the settings for "Media Set" I see the name  of  the media set now used but where can I change this?

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Understand the way it works is you create a media set and set properites for it , lets say  you have media set nameed "reserve" and the property is set up "overwrite protection for 1 day and append is infinite

Now you erase your tape and they move to the scratch media set

You run the job and it will pick up the tape from the scratch media set and overwrite the tape

Once the job is done the tape moved to the reserve media set

Now you cant overwrite the same tape for 1 day however you can append to that tape

HerbertK
Level 4

Thanks for your reply Kunal. If i understood you correctly: Once set a media set and put data on a tape with that media set I can not overrule this setting  and decrease the overwrite protection without erasing the tape first?

But still I also do not know where to set the properties the media set used. In the logging I can only see how long the tape is protected against overwriting.

HerbertK
Level 4

Without changing parameters/settings, I started the first (exchange) job again, now with the Tuesday tape in the tape drive and it already wrote about 3 GB to the tape, so Im further  than in my earlier posts.. I assume  that earlier today the mounting of the tape was not correctly somehow ?

I will check if the tape is mounted correctly with an "Inventory" command the next days before I go home.

But then again, the job log of last night took about 5,5 hours in total.. ??? I assume that if the mounting was not correct the error message would be produced earlier (as I have seen today).

First I wait to see if the Exchange job will finish correctly on this Tuesday tape and than will put the Wednesday tape in the drive and see if this can be seen correctly before I go home.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes you can change the properties from the storage tab.

Look for Tape/disk cartridge media set and vaults

Drill down to all media set

Drill down to your media set (reserve)

Double click on it and goto properties.

Here you can change the settings for your media set.

HerbertK
Level 4

Found it! The media set can be seen/changed via the Storage Tab, In the list below I see the name of the media set. When I double click on that on the left side I see "properties" which learns me that overprotection period was set on 6 hours (probably the reason Why the tape could not be overwritten this morning after the failed job ended at 6:30.  and append period of 1 hour.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Great! Post back with the results.

HerbertK
Level 4

Up to now the backup worked again as expected, but I have to mention that I did hit the Inventory button  each time I go home. Next week monday I will do switch tapes with out this to see if this is done automatically at the start of the first job.

HerbertK
Level 4

The backup job did work fine (without do a manual inventory). But I have a similar error again with another job which I also suspect to create the error with this  job in the first place.

I have described this in this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/what-does-job-status-resumed-mean

I did not ran this problem job the last couple of days...

As far as me concerend this particular item can be closed (without realy knowing what was exactly the problem or solution).