cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

Cornelius
Level 3

Hello All , 

I'm using Backup Exec for years without a problem .. Recently my Backup Exec 2010 R3 , started to give me some troubles .. accessing some folder , which it used to access normally .. but it started to give error "Path not found" , or "access Denied" , i looked for every way to solve it and it didnt work ,

Eventually i created a seperate job for that path , and it was working .. but not the old job ..

anyway .. after abit or researching .. i found someone in the community suggesting to create a new Selection List .. I did .. and of course it created a new jobs completely .. anyway .. long story short ..i faced another issue ..

I have Daily Incremental Backup , and weekly full backup ... and the backup happen in two steps .. disk to disk , then dublication to tape ..

The Problem 

For Incremental no issues .. For the weekly it got canceled by timing out .. as my weekly backup takes around 50 Hours to complete .. it cancel the job after 8 Hours ..

I researched again in the forum and found this :

Disable the Option "Enable automatic cancellation for selection list" in Backup Exec under:

Tools | Options | Priority and Availability or Backup Job Properties | Source | Priority and Availability. 

I found the option was enabled .. so i disabled it .. i dont know why it was re-enabled .. i never faced this issue before .. anyway .. waited for the second week .. and it still happening .. the job is canceling after exactly eight hours .. i thought may be i need to restart the services .. and it didnt work .. then i though ok i'll reanble it and increase the AutoCancelation option to 100 Hours .. and it didnt work .. still exactly 8 hours and it cancel .. 

The error is : 

Job Completion Status 
Job ended: Friday, August 22, 2014 at 5:00:12 AM
Completed status: Canceled, timed out
The job was automatically canceled because it 
exceeded the job's maximum configured 
run time.

Errors 

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- D:V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

The Job Schedule is as per the below photo .. 

Sched.JPG

Can anyone help me with a solution pls ?? 

10 REPLIES 10

lmosla
Level 6

Hi Cornelius,

A few things to check:

Are there any alerts that need responding to? Does the jobs run in a policy?  Make sure there is enough space on the drive and check for fragmentation.   If this is running on a policy recreate it and break the job up into smaller jobs.  If you are backing up flat files and databases together you should put the databases in a seperate job.  

Also run Live Updates to make sure the server is fully patched and push out the remote agent to the remote servers to keep the Media Server and Remote Servers at the same version of Backup Exec.

Cornelius
Level 3

Hello : 

1 - no alrets to respond to .

2 - yes its running on a policy , and it has been always like that !! for about 3 years .

3 - yes there is space , and i dont think server fragmentation will make a job to time out !!

4 - yes the back is for databases &files .. and it has been running fine . 

5 - yes server is updated .. 

the point here is there a timeout of 8 hours  !!! where i can disable this feature if its not in the above location mentioned in my original post!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2010 - automatic job cancellation.pngWhat you had done is to disable the cancelation on a global basis which will apply when you create a new job/selection list. You need to edit your job and disable the cancelation of the selection list.

Cornelius
Level 3

cazn u explisn to me more pls??

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I have added a screenshot of what you need to do when you edit your job. Uncheck the option circled in red

Cornelius
Level 3
Yes I understand how to disable it , I didn't get it how to edit selection list , and when ?? After or before ?? Or there is away I can control the automatic cancelation for the selection list ??

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You just need to disable this option.  You don't have to edit your selection list.

This option is inherited from the global setting when you create a job and it can be set for each individual job.

Cornelius
Level 3

I did .. and its currently disabled .. however my job still getting automatically canceled once its cross the 8 hours mark !! .. 

i'm trying to figure out why !

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try these.

1) Go to Tools --> Alerts Categories, click on the Media Insert alert and disable any auto-response.  This will come into play if the media is full.

2) Make sure you have disabled the global selection list availabily window and recreate your job.

Cornelius
Level 3

no alrets avaialbe .. 

and the jobs where just recreated ... and since then this problem is happening .. 

i need urgent help ..