cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory Mailbox Store and its subdirectories.

Paulo
Level 4
Can anyone help me with this issue? Our Exchange Backup To Disk fails everynight with the above error. When I look at the job log it is saying that it backed up 40GB (which is correct), but the job status is 'Failed', and the backup set is unuseable for restore purposes.

The strange thing here is that the B2D job was working fine, until last week. The account that is running the job is both a Domain Admin and a local admin on the Exchange Server. We are runnning Exchange 2003 Standard, and BE 11d on Win 2003 x64 Storage Server R2.

Regards
Paul.
86 REPLIES 86

Dewser
Level 3
I too am having a similar problem with Exchange 2007.  But it is also on a Windows 2003 R2 x64 server.  So maybe they are related.

Symantec??  any ideas??

EDIT:  Just noticed that Maintenance window starts before the backup job completes.  It is possible that the database may be locked during maintenance.  We changed the time window to start before the backup.  We will see how it goes tonight.

Message Edited by Dewser on 05-30-200707:38 AM

Message Edited by Dewser on 05-30-200707:39 AM

The_Dude
Level 4
I've got Veritas 11d running on x64 as well, and I'm getting the same error. As per here:

And we aren't the only ones either:

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=115&message.id=13525

I just tried a backup the IS without the ability to restore individual mail messages/folders, and it did work. So it looks like it is a specific problem with that.

Likewise, the restore individual mail messages/folders was working for us until about a week or so ago.

Paulo
Level 4
Thinking back to last week I think that this coincided with Live Update downloading and installing the Hotfixes 3,4 and 5!

What else can explain this suddenly breaking? Have any of you guys recently installed these hotfixes? I am going to have to start running the Exchange Backup without GRT enabled so I at least have the Exchange databases.

I suspect that there is a bug with one of these updates.

Can anyone from Syamantec help us please?

Paul.

Dewser
Level 3
Well that will keep the red out of the logs but unfortunately no one wants to restore the entire info store if only one person needs a single message restored.  :D.  But it helps with narrowing down the problem.  Just for giggles I may have my client uncheck that option for confirmation.

Paulo
Level 4
After checking back when I installed the hotfixes, I noticed that the Exchange Backup failed for the first time last week after I installed the hotfixes! Coincidence or not???

I have just uninstalled all these updates from the server and I will let you know tomorrow if tonight's Exchange backup completes or not.

Paul.

The_Dude
Level 4
I applied hotfix 4/5 in an attempt to fix the problem. Hotfix 3 I installed about a week before I had the problem, but I did not reinstall the agent on the exchange server.

I'll give it a go anyway mind, as it is really annoying. How do you uninstall hotfixes anyway?

Thanks!

Paulo
Level 4
Mmmm, Perhaps uninstalling the hotfixes may make no difference, however they can be uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs , just tick the box for 'Show Updates' and then remove them.

Good Luck for tonight. I would be nice though to get some input from some techies from Symantec on this issue.

Paul.

The_Dude
Level 4
Thanks - so obvious! I've now removed hotfix 3/4/5 and I am trying another backup as we speak.

The_Dude
Level 4
OK - I uninstalled hotfix 3/4/5 and it WORKED.

So basically, Symantec have broken it. Smiley Surprised

Jorgen_Persson
Level 4
Same problem for me and it started after I applied HF 3, 4 and 5. My normal exchange backup works fine but the backups that can restore indiviual E-mails fails with the same error as everyone else have.

Dewser
Level 3
Ah you guys are lucky, unfortunately no hotfixes have been installed on my build of BE.  It is the newer build 7170 that supports Exchange 2007 so I have a feeling the hotfixes are already integrated in the build!  Yey for getting broken software from Symantec.

Paulo
Level 4
Thats good news Dude. What build are you running? I am running build 7170, I will not know until tomorrow morning if it has worked, but it only broke after installing the Symantec hotfixes!

The_Dude
Level 4
I'm using rev 7170 actually of 11d. x64 version, it was only installed on a fresh server about the start of the month actually so it is a very new install. We are using Exch 2003, so I'm not aware if it supports Exch 2007 yet however Exch 2007 is mentioned in the Exchange backup options list.

The one curious thing is that I uninstalled hotfixes 3/4/5, and they don't appear in Add/Remove programs. However, 11d still reports hotfix 3 is install. Also, if I do a scan for updates using live update, it doesn't find any.

Message Edited by The Dude on 05-30-200701:09 PM

The_Dude
Level 4
Now I am confused - my overnight job failed as before. :(

My only thought is that I ran a full backup of the IS without the option to restore individual messages, and it then worked. So I presume if it did it again, it'd run once again.

I installed the Exchange patch the day after I first got the problem:

So I don't believe it is related to this either.

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
guys i am having the same problem.
running windows storage server 2003 x64 and backing up exchange standard 2003 x32
backup exec 11d build 7170, with patches 3-4-5 installed
I am running the jobs Backup To disk

im getting really fed up with this product. out of nowhere it stops backing up my mailboxes.

I originally had the build before 7170 installed and I was not doing grt backups.  It was working fine(it was taking 13hrs to backup each individual mailbox, but it worked)
Then out of the blue i started getting the access denied errors for each mailbox and 245mb log files for the backup job.  
I called symantec they said it was the build, so i downloaded the new 7170, and chose to do GRT because they said it was supported now for 64 bit. havent gotten a successfull exchange backup since.
it looks like it backups the files but i cant restore anything. it processes the correct amount of data but i still get access denied errors.
I read above that the dude uninstalled the patches and it worked, but then the next day it didnt work. can anyone confirm or unconfirm this?

The wierd thing is i ran a test GRT backup job during the day with just the information stores selected and it worked fine!

thank you

Message Edited by roy duque de estrada on 05-31-200706:21 AM

Paulo
Level 4
I removed the hotfixes last night, rebooted the server and I am running an Exchange Backup with GRT enabled. I will post as soon as I know the outcome.

Paul.

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
This is what i see in the restore after i ran the job yesterday during the day and i try to do a restore after the job completed succesfully.

this is what i see when i try to restore from last nights backup job.

i have not worked with grt backups before, how would i restore an individual mailbox or individual email? if even on the good job i cant expand past the information store?

Message Edited by roy duque de estrada on 05-31-200707:07 AM

Paulo
Level 4
My Exchange backup with GRT enabled worked! I can do a restore too! Dude, did you reboot after removing the hotfixes?

Paul.

The_Dude
Level 4
I ran another test backup this morning, and it worked. I've not rebooted either!

One thing I did change overnight was change the purge mailbox timeout to 0 days, therefore deleting any disconnected mailboxes.

Otherwise, my screenshots look the same as yours. The backup is full, but I can't select anything within the IS like I normally can.