Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-38220 - Unable to backup VM with direct SAN/LUN access

wooinau
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I am having trouble with backing up my VM's when trying to access the SAN directly.  I am able to see the LUN's that contain the VMFS datastore (and my VM's) when I use the Disk Management MMC in Windows, on my server with both VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB Proxy) and Backup Exec 12.5 (with correct agents).

I am however able to backup these same VM's (with GRT) if I change the VMDK export file format transport mode to NBD.  Obviously, since this server can see the LUN's on the SAN, I would like for it to be able to access it directly over the fibre, instead of relying on a very slow LAN based backup.

I was hoping that by using this, I wouldn't have to spend a serious amount of time learning how to use the CLI of the VCB software/scripts.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Job Completion Status      
Job ended: Wednesday, 8 October 2008 at 8:27:35 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000954c - An error occurred while running the VMware 'vcbMounter' command to back up a virtual machine. See the job log for details.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38220     

Errors      
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- VMVCB::\\CMCS-VC\VCGuestVm\(DC)CMCS(DC)\vm\CMCS-AV
V-79-57344-38220 - Backup of the virtual machine 'CMCS-AV' failed. VMware VCB framework reported the following error

Error: Failed to open the disk: Cannot access a SAN/iSCSI LUN backing this virtual disk. (Hint: If you are using vcbMounter you can use the option "-m ndb" to switch to network based disk access if this is what you want.) If you were attempting file-level access, stop the vmount Service by typing "net stop vmount2" on a command prompt to force vmount to re-scan for SAN LUNs and re-try the command.

6 REPLIES 6

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Does the VCB Proxy see the SAN as well?

wooinau
Level 3
Partner

The VCB Proxy and the Backup Exec 12.5 server are the same physical machine.

I can confirm that this server can see the LUN's where the VM's reside.  If I open "Disk Management" on the server, I can see the 2 LUN's in there as "unknown disks".

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please open a ticket with support for assistance with this issue.  I have provided a link below to find your local support number. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_numbers.jsp?pid=15047

NHHG
Level 3
Were you able to find a resolution to this as may have a similar issue?

Tobi_Langer
Level 3

Hi,

I've just given an answer to your problem:

Look here

Regards,

Tobi

Symanticus
Level 6
I got this error when i perfomed hotadd method:
Backup- VMVCB::\\MATERIA\VCGuestVm\(DC)domain.com(DC)\vm\Windows Server 2008\Win_MOSS_SQL_2008 
V-79-57344-38220 - Backup of the virtual machine 'Win_MOSS_SQL_2008' failed. VMware VCB framework re...
 Error: Not running in a Virtual Machine managed by vCenter.

this is my deployment diagram: http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8875/esxi.jpg

I've set up vcenter(VCB-HELPER) inside the ESXi1 local datastore but still i can't back up the VM into it.