cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-38260 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot

The_Decrypter
Not applicable

Hi,

I've been working on this issue for some time now and i seem to be getting nowhere. I've had support calls in with both Symantec and VMware to get this resolved. Both company’s agreed with the approved solution:

Symantec's solution:

SOLUTION/WORKAROUND:

1. Backup of VM fails with error "Snapshot creation failed: Could not quiesce file system"
2. Able to create snapshot manually.
3. Informed to uninstall RAWS & VMWare tools.
4. Reboot the VM, re-install VMware tools without 'Filesystem Sync Driver' and 'Volume Shadow Copy Services Support',
5. Reboot the VM, re-install RAWS & re-run the backup job of that VM

I've done all this and still i'm getting V-79-57344-38260 error. One thing that helps me sleep at night is that i'm getting all the data within the VM. But not the VM disk it self.

We Run:

Backup Exec 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2007 and VMware Agents. We also run VMware vSphere 4.1.

Please help

Thanks for Help 

The Decrypter smiley
8 REPLIES 8

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee
  • If you do not have Pre-freeze-script.bat or Post-thaw-script.bat files in your system root directory, copy these files from C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BE VSS Provider to the system root directory.

• If you have Pre-freeze-script.bat or Post-thaw-script.bat files files in your system root directory, merge the contents of the scripts from the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BE VSS Provider directory to your existing scripts.

-So your non GRT backups are working?
    -and have you Upgraded to BE 2010R2 yet with all remote agents?

rainerh
Not applicable

Hello everybody,

we are having exactly the same problem except that we are running ESX 4.0

I've also copied the two scripts pre-freeze-script.bat and post-thaw-script.bat into the root folder => No success so far

@Vaibhow M: non GRT ist also not working

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

There could be many reason for this error, I guess you need to Isolate

1)- Do you have any Dynamic, Independent or RDM disk on that VM.
2)-Do you have any hidden or unformatted disk attached to that VM
3)-also do you have any vmdk attached to that VM with similar names as other VMDK on same machine or ( ) symbol ?

Rainerh Make sure you dont have any old snapshot left behind in snapshot manager

and you should be able to create/ delete snapshot  form there...

un_baiat
Level 2

http://www.lo0.ro/2011/backup-exec-v-79-57344-38260-unable-to-create-a-snapshot-of-the-virtual-machine-the-virtual-machine-may-be-too-busy-to-quiesce-to-take-the-snapshot/

i dind't applyed the patch described in the link above but I disabled the filesystem sync driver on the machines affected and put them in a separtate job. the backup is ok now

martin_sc
Not applicable

1)- Do you have any Dynamic, Independent or RDM disk on that VM.

We have the same problem on one of our VM. Actually System partition was "mistakenly" converted to dynamic and I guess this is when it started to fail.

Any idea ? Workaround ?

Darren_Goobey
Level 3

Are you unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine if you have a VMDK with ( ) symbol when selecting the virtual machine under VMware vCenter and ESX Servers?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As we did have a problem with the & character in either VM or container names in ESX environments then it is possible the use of the ( and ) characters might also cause a problem. Exactly where are you using them as I might be able to test it once I know how you have used those characters. (might be an idea to post a screenshot)

Oh and as we released 2 important Hotfixes last week that affect AVVI for 2010 R3, I suggest that it might be a good idea to apply them

159965 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159965
164220 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164220

Darren_Goobey
Level 3

We created a virtual machine using vCenter with three hard disks. Two of the hard disks have the same VMDK filename but are in different datastores. For example SERVER1.vmdk from Datastore 1, SERVER1.vmdk from Datastore 2 and SERVER1_1.vmdk from Datastore 2. When you look in Backup Exec and expand the virtual machine under VMware vCenter and ESX Servers it lists the VMDK File as SERVER1(1).vmdk, SERVER1.vmdk and SERVER1_1.vmdk. A backup of the virtual machine fails with unable to create a snaphot of the virtual machine. Are the ( and ) characters causing this problem?