cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-38264 - Unable to copy the virtual machine disk using the VMware VixDiskLib.

Vdang
Level 4

Hello Everyone,

Currently we have a server 2008 64bit server with BE 2014 which was upgrade from 2012 and for some strange reason I keep getting this particular error message while backing up a few VMs as you can see below. 

V-79-57344-38264 - Unable to copy the virtual machine disk using the VMware VixDiskLib.
VixDiskLib_Read() reported the error: NBD_ERR_DISKLIBV-79-57344-38366 - WARNING: "VMVCB::\\10.0.1.5\VCGuestVm\(DC)ha-datacenter(DC)\vm\SCSMDW\SCSMDW\SM Warehouse-000002.vmd...Transport mode 'nbd' was used for the read operation of the disk 'SM Warehouse_1-000002.vmdk'

In addition, I have research this particular message and I have not yet found anything online that is exactly what I am having issues with. Furthermore to provide additional background information the issue that I am having with the VM are on an Exsi host that is running version 5.5.

17 REPLIES 17

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are the remote agents updated on the VM as well ?

It will be easier to log a support case to enable and analyse the debug logs.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try pushing out the remote agent again to the problem VM's.

Vdang
Level 4

Hello VJware,

To answer your question we do not have the remote agent push out to this VM, but the tech whom I am working with had me enable GRT and for some strange reason it is backing up successully at the file level without the remote agent. Furthermore, the support Tech and myself double check and for sure the remote agent was not installed on this machine. At the current moment we have not been able to collect the debug as SGMON is not working.

VJware
Level 6

File & Folder GRT does not require the Agent to be installed inside the VM for backups, but it does for restores. Application GRT requires the Agent for both backups/restores.

Vdang
Level 4

Hello VJware,

So this is one of the VM that we have that does not have an the remote agent installed and when we go to restore it actually allows up to view and select individually files to restore from. In addition, we do have another backup server where we also backup vms, but we were not able to view those file from the restore selection unless we are doing a remote agent backup.

GRT without Agent_0.JPG

VJware
Level 6

Restore selections are populated from the catalogs and it should not matter if the VM has the remote agent or not. However, when you run the actual restore to the VM, then it will fail since there is no remote agent present. Remote Agent is not required if you are going to restore the files/folders to the local BE server itself.

Vdang
Level 4

So in other words, what you're saying is that we do not need the remote agent to perform a GRT Backup and to do a restore from it as long as we are restoring to the media server rather than the actually vm? In addition, I was under the impression that VM that are backup via VMDK would require the remote agent to backup at the file level, please correct me if I am wrong.

VJware
Level 6

Just to clarify. One does not need the remote agent for a File & Folder GRT backup, but does need it for the Application GRT backup. If restoring to the original VM, the remote agent is required, but not if restoring to the local media server itself.

VJware
Level 6

The Agent for VMware & Hyper-V license does include unlimited number of RAWS/RALUS agent licenses for the VMs, however this is only when the VM is backed up as a virtual machine (for GRT backup and recovery purpose) and not when the VM is backed up directly using the remote agent as a physical machine.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

however this is only when the VM is backed up as a virtual machine (for GRT backup and recovery purpose) and not when the VM is backed up directly using the remote agent as a physical machine.

Can you provide some documentation to back this up?

VJware
Level 6

Just clarified with the licensing folks and my earlier reply is a bit incorrect.

The Agent for VMware & Hyper-V license includes unlimited number of RAWS/RALUS agent licenses for the VMs irrespective of the fact these VMs are backed up as a virtual or a physical machine. Additional remote agent licenses are required only if there are actual physical machines present.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Thanks for the clarification. This is what I would have thought. If you were correct earlier then it would be highly impossible to enforce

Vdang
Level 4

Hello Vjware and Pkh,

Do you guys happen to know where I can get the actually documentation that would clearly state that? I have looked at the BE 2014 Licensing Guide and it does not really state that information for the agent for VMware & Hyper-V license.

However it does make mention that the BE V-Ray edition has that feature where you're allow to installed an unlimited amount of number of application /database per host.

The reason why I am asking is because our company purchase the Regular BE license, but we also have the VMware & Hyper-V License.

Vdang
Level 4

Thank you for clearing that up for me VJware.

I have another question which I hope you can provide clarification and that is I have been reading on the forum trying to find an answer to the issue, but along the line I have been seeing that people indicated that it might be best trying to back it up using the raws agent. Therefore, I would like to know if we have the Agent Vmware and Hyper-V license could we install an unlimited number of Raws agent on our license Exsi host vms?

VJware
Level 6

I believe the EULA mentions that unlimited remote agents are available with the VMware & Hyper-V license. Better still, you could contact the Licensing Team for documentation if any at http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

Link to BE 2014 EULA - http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/enterprise/eulas/b-backup-exec-2014-eula-eng.pdf

Verbatim from EULA - The Backup Exec Agent for VMware and Hyper V license allows for additional Backup Exec Agent for Windows and Agent for Linux to be used in each guest virtual machine running on a VMware ESX host server that has been licensed with a Backup Exec Agent for VMware and Hyper V license without purchasing additional licenses for those Agents.

Vdang
Level 4

Thanks VJware,

The information that you have provided is exactly what I have been trying to find out. Hopefully it will resolve the issue that I am having given that I could try and push out the RAWS on that VM.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Note that you are allowed to load AWS/RALUS into VM's as long as the host is licenced with the hypervisor agent licence. You do not need the V-Ray edition