cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-3862 and V-79-57344-33037

Peter-L
Level 3

Version 13.0 is not listed here and I don't know what "2008 Not Applicable" means. I run on Server 2008 R2 and it's been working for years. I just ran into one issue that is probably not related to the OS but my understanding of Backup Exec.

I backup to B2D folders, only. I have a number of jobs that work well. One of those jobs, however, that runs very infrequently just failed and I have been unable to figure out how to fix it. I tried Full and Incremental but it fails the same way really quick with the two errors shown below. The job runs with a Media Set that only has two huge files in it that are set to not be overwritten, as desired. However, they are both full and I would want a third one created so that job can run. But it complains about not having enough media. I thought if there wasn't overwritable media available, it would create a new one but that's not happening. How do I create a new one?

ERRORS:

Job Log: BEX_BAKSRV1_66217.xml

Drive and media mount requested: 10/14/2016 2:03:15 PM
No appendable media could be mounted.
V-79-57344-33037 - Error - Mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Media not found.

Job Completion Status

Job ended: Friday, October 14, 2016 at 2:03:16 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000f16 - The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-3862

Errors

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
No appendable media could be mounted.
V-79-57344-33037 - Error - Mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Media not found.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The "append to media.. overwrite" option will only overwrite media that is not protected in the media set. So as long as media exists in the media set with infinte overwrite protection, it cannot be touched by a backup job.

It should, however, create a new B2D file and start writing. You may want to hit the help button on this page for clearification. I have used this version of BE in a while :)

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

It might be that the media you are trying to write to may not be overwriteable. I suggest the following, verify that there is enough storage for the B2D. So if the B2D is on E: make sure E: has enough free space. Second, edit the backup job and verify that it's pointing to the B2D you specified and change the job properties on the storage page from Overwrite to append. Backup Exec does a great job of managing your media and not letting you accidently overwrite media that has data on it that's not ready to be overwriten. One last thing, on the devices tab, make sure the B2D your job is going to is online.

Yes, they are not overwritable, append only. But I can no longer append since both of those media are full. So I would like a new one to be created since there is enough space on the drive.

Which version of Backup Exec are you using ?  There may be a setting on the Backup to Disk Folder properties. This is viewed on the Advanced Tab for the Backup to Disk Folder. If you exceed the Low Disk Threshold (set on the Advanced Tab) it may cause issues of not being able to create additional media. How much disk space is available on the volume which is hosting the Backup to Disk Folder ?

Ok, so you should be able to create a new B2D from the storage tab, but, you may want to modify the append time on this B2D instead. Since there is space on the disk and you want to use an existing B2D, you can edit the Media Set the B2D is associated with. pkh has responded on another thread with a link to understanding media sets and protection:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032654

On the media tab there are media sets. these have properties and when a job runs, it associated a media with a media set. The media set has overwrite protection time and append time. Total protection time start when the media is used for the first backup and the last append time. So if the overwrite protection is set to 5 days and append for 2, that's a total of 7 days of protection. The last append (2 days later) also gets the 5 days of protection.

The threshold is 10 GB but there is 2.75 TB free on the drive.

The media set is:

Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite
Infinite - Allow Append

But the two media files in there are full so they can't be appended.

So which would you like. The problem with Infinite, is that you can never overwrite that B2D. How long do you plan on keeping a backup? Answer that and put that in the overwrite box. The same for append. Decide on how long you want to append to it and set that time. With the current settings, at some point you will be out of disk space.

I never want to overwrite it. I want to keep it forever. Why can't additional media not be created past the two that are full already?

There is probably some option somewhere that is preventing new media from being created.

Lets go over some basics:

On the properties of the Backup to Disk folder, what is the Max Size for Backup to Disk files?

On the same screen, what is the Maximum number of backup sets per backup to disk file ?

Under Tools|Options|Media Management what is currently selected under Media Management and under Media Overwrite options.

And finally, under the backup job you are trying to run, One of these options (under Device and Media) will be set: 1- Overwrite media. 2-Append to Media, overwrite if no appendable media is available, or 3-Append to media, terminate job if no appendiable media is available. Which one is the backup job using ?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to identify all the possible variables.

what is the Max Size for Backup to Disk files?
It is set to 4 GB, but the two files in there are 20 GB and 50 GB, so I'm not sure what this does.

Maximum number of backup sets per backup to disk file?

what is currently selected under Media Management and under Media Overwrite options
Partial and Recyclable

Which one is the backup job using ?
3-Append to media, terminate job if no appendiable media is available
It kinda makes sense that it terminates since the media is full and therefore cannot be appended. But new media should be created, I thought. I've been using this software for years and never had this issue before.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to identify all the possible variables.
No reason to apologize for trying to help, man. :)

Yes, you see it. It will not create new media as long as it's set to terminate if no appendiable media. Change this and try rerunning the job.

The two other options are to "overwrite", which I do not want to do. I want to create new media, not overwrite existing. I have plenty of free space on the drive. So the other options would overwrite my existing media, right? Or is that some secret way of saying "create new media"?

The "append to media.. overwrite" option will only overwrite media that is not protected in the media set. So as long as media exists in the media set with infinte overwrite protection, it cannot be touched by a backup job.

It should, however, create a new B2D file and start writing. You may want to hit the help button on this page for clearification. I have used this version of BE in a while :)

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

A few informational comments and notes on best practice (so not specifically an answer to your probem)

Backup Exec 13.0 is one of the Backup Exec 2010 variants you you should really make sure you are on 2010 R3 with latest patches (so at least 13.0.5204.0 with SP4 added)

All versions of BE 2010 go end of support early next year - so really you should be planning to update things. Although be aware that older operating systems and applications etc may no longer be supported by newer versions of BE so you do need to carefully check your environment against our compatibility lists (HCL and SCL) as part of planning any upgrades and consider upgrading other parts of the environment (which are almost certainly out of official support by their vendors as well)

For Backup Ecec 2010 R3 and earlier, best/recommended practice is that you should not append in Backup to Disk jobs - so really should set all jobs to disk to overwrite at start (it was considered to be such bad practice that from BE 2012 onwards we took this choice away from you)

When thinking about Backup to Disk, an append or overwrite operation applies to a BKF file and not the device you are writing to - when we overwrite on a B2D (2010R3 and earlier) we will re-use a bkf if there is an overwriteable one and create a new BKF if no overwritable available (as long as there is disk space in te devcie to do this) We have seen confusion where append is belived to be add to the remaining free space in the device where for B2D it means add to the maximum possible space in the available, appendable BKF (against the current max BKF setting applied.)

Good troubleshooting, DarthBilly. Problem resolved. Thank you sir!

Where do I get updates, Colin?

You can get updates using LiveUpdate. It's installed as part of Backup Exec.

Also check out the following TechNote:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH66724