cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-65245 - A failure occurred accessing the object list.

SFM
Level 3
I have backup exec 11d 64bit and all updates installed
Windows 2003 sp2 64bit with all updates installed
Exchange 2007 sp1 64bit with all updates installed

Backup exec is installed on the same server as the exchange server.

When I do a backup I get the following errors

V-79-57344-65235 - A failure occurred setting the Component backup status.
Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last erro...
failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during backup complete operation (12).
I looked for this isse and found the following things to try.........

Run the VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS command and see if it errors and it does.
When I reboot like recommended it goes away, but when you run the backup it fails again and the error shows again.

I tryed reapplying the SP2, still fails.

I asked Microsoft about a patch and they say there isn't a newer patch fro 64bit other then SP2.

Anyone have this issue?
Does anyone know the fix?
This is getting very frustrating......

14 REPLIES 14

ESabo
Level 6
Getting the same thing as you.    Try applying KB940349.

Let me know if you get a resolution for this.

SFM
Level 3
I tryed the patch....

Still get the same errors!

Anyone else have any ideas?

SFM
Level 3
I first tested going to Exchange 2007 using Veritas to do backups in a test lab and everything worked great.
Now I can't do any Exchange 2007 backups on the implemented server box.

Anyone else resolve this issue, I see there are many people who have the issue out there.
What are people doing? Moving to a new backup solution?

JFenger
Level 2
SFM, I installed the update too and am still getting the same error messages on all of my policy-based backups. As a workaround, I created individual storage group backups outside of my policy instead of full info store policy-based backup. So far no errors but they are full daily backups, not incremental, and I only have one successful night of backups after a reboot. Will wait to see if I get the error messages again tonight on the individual SG backups without rebooting.

SFM
Level 3
Any one from Symantec want to comment on this issue?

I sometimes can get a backup if I choose one database and back it up and then another and then another.

If I schedule 4 jobs in a row (one for each storage group) I can get 3 of them to work but one fails or sometimes 2 jobs will work and 2 will fail. Its different databases everytime.

I can't believe this issue has not been resolved.........HELLO Symantec

chriswhitham
Level 2
seem to be getting the same issue here.
Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during backup complete operation (12).

Backup- \\exchange\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-65245 - A failure occurred accessing the object list.
Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during backup complete operation (12).

The item \\exchange\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Logs in use - skipped.
The item \\exchange\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database in use - skipped.

normal ntbackup runs fine...
has anyone got any further with this one??

OkHCA
Level 2
Guess I'll jump on this particular bandwagon.  We upgraded to 11d specifically for Exchange 2007, but haven't been able to backup the server at all.  The server has all Microsoft Updates & Patches installed, and Backup Exec has Service Pack 2 installed.  No matter what we do we still get the following errors in the Backup Exec log:

Backup- \\MAIL07\Microsoft Information Store\A-G Storage Group

Backup- \\MAIL07\Microsoft Information Store\H-O Storage Group

Backup- \\MAIL07\Microsoft Information Store\P-Z Storage Group

Backup- \\MAIL07\System?State \\MAIL07\System?State

Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7},
     Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed
     during backup complete operation (12).

Of course the Symantec Support page for this error message simply tells you to install Hotfix 22, unfortunately the hotfix is targeted specifically to Backup Exec 9.0 (rev 4454).

So if anyone comes up with a solution to this problem I'd like to know.  This is the only issue keeping us from going live with our Exchange 2007 server.

JFenger
Level 2
Folks, another possible workaround for you until Symantec gets us a fix. If you are running LCR or CCR on your exchange box, try changing the option to backup the ACTIVE copy of the DB instead of the default PASSIVE copy. I changed this setting the other day and so far I've had successful backups.
Hopefully this works for you until we get an answer.......

chriswhitham
Level 2
ok guys, just been working on this issue with a lovely lady from India... long and short of it, since upgrading to backup exec sp2 the exchange agent needed upgrading too. Did a push install to the exchange server and now all working.

Chris

SFM
Level 3
JFenger

I am backing up the Active copy now and having the issues so for me it dosn't matter if its Active or passive I still get random failures

chriswhitham

I am running backup exec fully patched on the exchange server with the 2007 agent. Everything patched and have issues still.

I have tryed everything but nothing seems to work, the NT backup works and would use that if I could restore one users mail box or individual files but its an all or nothing.

Anyone else......any alternatives.

I can't move to 2007 production until the issues are fixed.

chriswhitham
Level 2
Ok counted my chickens too soon, having issues still. Backs up some information stores but not others. Checked if the databases were "unwell" and they checked out fine. Not sure if it's because of the sizes of storage groups... then again i have been reading about 64bit exchange to 32 bit media server... (https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=be11dOther&message.id=837)

It's friday evening t-minus 8 mins to clocking off, so i think a call to symantec can wait till monday!

have a good weekend guys!

Chris 

Andreas_Deland
Level 4
Have the same problem.

Any luck with the support chris?

Erik_Fridell_2
Level 3
That's what I thought also, but I've updated my remote agent and am still getting intermittent problems with my backups.

Check out ForestGump's response on this other thread:

Sounds like it's something that is being actively worked on by MS now and we're probably just going to need to wait for an official update of some sort.

I think it is further bolstered by JFenger's work around of only backing up the active copy in a LCR or CCR setup. Since the recommended setting for 11d is backup the passive copy if available else backup the active copy, then disabling LCR as per ForestGump would make the passive copy unavailable, which is the same as JFenger's suggestion of only backing up the active copy.

Regardless, I am greatly looking forward to an update from Symantec and/or Microsoft.

Erik

OkHCA
Level 2
Just a word of warning folks.

After we installed 11d Service Pack 2 I removed the existing backup client from my Exchange 2007 box and installed the newest client from the SP update.  At that point my server went into a continuous reboot cycle.  I tried various ways to correct the issue, but finally wound up wiping the box and reloading.

I can't authoritatively state that the client was the problem, but the server had been working properly for over 6 months before it.  I sure hope we get a solution from someone soon.