cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-766 - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.

Imran_Qureshi
Level 3
We recently moved our Backup Exec 12.5 software from a Windows 2003 Standard 32 bit server to a Windows 2003 R2 Standard 64 bit server. This new server also has Exchange 2007 locally installed.

Before this move, our remote backups of Exch. 07 used to work flawlessly, but since we moved our BE software to the Exch. 07 server, the exchange backups give us the following error:

V-79-57344-766 - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again.

I have tried to reinstall / uninstall the MAPI but it still didn't work. I did contact Symantec support and they also verified the problem by enabling the legacy view for exchange 07 in BE and trying to select the mailboxes manually from the selection list. Even that ended up giving us the same error as above. In the end, Symantec told me to contact Microsoft since it seems like the MAPI on the server is corrupted.

What I want to know is what could cause the MAPI to become corrupted ? Before we switched our BE software over to this server, our backups used to run fine. It is only after we made the move that we started having these problem. If any one has any ideas or solutions to this problem and how to fix MAPI corruption, I would appreciate your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Imran_Qureshi
Level 3
Just thought I update everyone on this issue. I was able to fix all the errors as follows:

1) For the MAPI issues, I realized that the account we were using to backup the Information Store needed to have our domain name in it. So using Domain\User instead of User worked.

2) As for the issue with the Exchange Writer going into a failed state after every backup, I simply changed the schedule for the Exchange Maintenance to run after the backup was finished since they were conflicitng. This seems to have fixed our issue and now the Exchange Writer is always in a stable state and backups are running fine everyday.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Create a new account in AD named : symantec with following settings:
1  : Member of the Domain Admin group and Local Admin Group if Exchange is a member server
2  : Create a Mailbox for Symantec, send a test email and oprn it in OWA to activate the Mailbox.
3  : Make sure that the Mailbox is not hidden from the Global Address List.
4  : Add the account "symantec" as Exchange Server Administrator in Exchange Management Console.

Open Backup Exec, go to TOOLS--Logon Accounts and Change the Logon Account to "symantec", make sure that "system Logon Account" and "Default Logon Account" is symantec.

Now restore any individual item from exchange backups.

Hope this helps...

Imran_Qureshi
Level 3
Hi Dev,

Thanks for the solution. I am afraid this problem is not being caused by a rights issue.

Symantec support told me that the MAPI on the server is corrupted so I should contact Microsoft. Before calling Microsoft I wanted to see if I could fix it myself and after installing some Rollup updates to Exchange and rebooting the server, the MAPI problems we had before were gone. I was able to access the mailboxes in legacy mode and also successfully create a profile using the MAPI check tool provided to me by support.

Even after fixing MAPI, our exchange is still not backing up. We are now receiving the following error messages :

V-79-57344-65149 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\GENSERVER7\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE7D): Access is denied.
To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

V-79-57344-65149 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-57344-65149 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-57344-65149 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

I am 100% confident that the user account being used for these backups has full access rights to all of our servers. I also checked the VSS Writers on the server and they are all in stable condition.

What could be casing this error ? Can it be related to corruption in the .NET Framework because I have been having some problems running Symantec System Recovery software on the same server ?

teiva-boy
Level 6
For one, dont use open file option on Exchange, SQL, or Active Directory.  This is recommended and best practice for some 5+ years.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

As stated by Tievia-boy, Uncheck the AOFO option and install the VSS Rollup patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 (REBOOT REQUIRED)

Dev_T
Level 6
Any news here?

Imran_Qureshi
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess the problem was infact a rights issue.

The user name I was using for backups had all the required rights to the server and we had been using the same username without any problem for over 3 yrs now. But still, I followed Dev's advice and created a new username called Symantec and set it as the credential to use for the Information Store, Shadow Copy Components and System State. As soon as I did that, the backups started to work fine.

Eventhough backups work, one another minor problem we have is that the Microsoft Exchange Writer goes in to a Failed State after exchange backups. It doesnt happen each time we backup exchange, but I would say 7 out of 10 times I have to manually restart the Information Store service inorder to make the Exchange Writer get in to a Stable State, otherwise the exchange backup will not work. Is this normal behavior? What could be causing it to go in to a failed state soo often? and How can we fix it ?

Dev_T
Level 6
For Writers install the VSS Rollup patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 (REBOOT REQUIRED)...it helped for me....

Dev_T
Level 6
Please mark it as a solution......

Imran_Qureshi
Level 3
Sorry about the delayed reply.

I applied the VSS Rollup Patch but the Exchange Writer still goes in to a failed state after every backup. I then have to restart the Information Store service too get it back to Stable.

Dev_T
Level 6

This issue is not with Backup Exex but its with the writers, if the issue comes up after reboot we need to re-register the VSS DLLs as below.

For 2003 Servers:
the following steps to re-register the Volume Shadow Copy service DLL's.
CD to Windows\System32
Net stop vss
Net stop swprv
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Vssvc /Register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 vssui.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll
Reboot your server.
After reboot, open a command prompt and run:
vssadmin list writers

hope this helps...

Dev_T
Level 6
any news.......?

Imran_Qureshi
Level 3

I followed the above steps to re-register the VSS DLLs but now the Exchange Writer goes in to a failed state after each and every backup.

Imran_Qureshi
Level 3
Just thought I update everyone on this issue. I was able to fix all the errors as follows:

1) For the MAPI issues, I realized that the account we were using to backup the Information Store needed to have our domain name in it. So using Domain\User instead of User worked.

2) As for the issue with the Exchange Writer going into a failed state after every backup, I simply changed the schedule for the Exchange Maintenance to run after the backup was finished since they were conflicitng. This seems to have fixed our issue and now the Exchange Writer is always in a stable state and backups are running fine everyday.

kshaw
Level 3

Due to a change in staff, I had to reset the admin password for Backup Exec.  After receiving the above error I created a new user to be the Backup Exec Admin, and the problem is still happening.  I've gone back to the original admin, used the wizard and adjusted the services to reflect the change but I cannot get rid of the MAPI error.

Any thoughts?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As this thread has already been marked as "Solved", you should create a new thread for your problem

You can refer back to this one and mention that the solution did not help you, if you wish

Gayan
Not applicable
Certified

VSS Rollup Patch instalation worked. Thans  Dev T