cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-8192-38331 even after uninstalling VMware VSS provider

Artegic
Level 6

After a VMware Tools update on one of my VMs backed up with Application GRT, Backup Exec 2012 SP4 started complaining:

V-79-8192-38331 - The backup has detected that both the VMware VSS Provider and the Symantec VSS Pro...

Indeed, the VSS support component of VMware Tools had mistakenly be installed with the update. However, after manually uninstalling that component as recommended by http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142521, the error persists.

What can I do?

7 REPLIES 7

lmosla
Level 6

Hi Artegic,

Which component did you uninstall, the VMWare Snapshot Provider?  If so, try repushing RAWS onto the virtual machine.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should always push out the remote agent again after a VMTools update so that the BE VSS Provider will be installed and the VMTools provider will be uninstalled

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please have alook at article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129864 : How to perform an automated or manual uninstall of the VMware Snapshot Provider.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Just repush the agent, then it will work again.

Artegic
Level 6

To uninstall the VMware VSS Provider I launched VMware Tools Setup via "Programs and Features - Modify", selected "Modify" and unchecked the item "VSS support". Completing the uninstallation required a reboot. (Cost me a downtime announcement.) The item was then displayed in VMware Tools Setup as "not installed". but the error persisted.

I have reinstalled the agent via right click on the server in the Backup Exec console's Servers pane, selecting "Update" from the menue and in the appearing "install updates" dialog, selecting "execute now with no recurring schedule" together with "automatically reboot if necessary". (Cost me another downtime announcement.) Backup Exec reported success, but the error persists.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you verified traces of the VMware VSS provider aren't present in the registry ? The "Manual" section of TECH129864 lists the registry locations.

And what is the hardware version of this VM ? If it is not ver 9, would recommend to attempt the following steps:-

Upgrade to HW version 9.

Uninstall the Remote Agent from the VM.

Install VMware VSS Provider and confirm the service is running post the install.

Reinstall the Remote Agent in the VM and check if the VMware VSS provider is being automatically removed or not. If it gets removed, retry a GRT backup of this VM.

Artegic
Level 6

I have verified the VM against the "Manual" section of TECH129864:

• The folder <volume>:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers does not exist.
  • None of the other folders within <volume>:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools contain a subfolder VSS.
  • The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmvss does not exist.
  • The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers only contains a single subkey {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} labelled "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0".

The VM's compatibility level is "VM Version 8". I'll have to verify the impact of changing this to Version 9 and schedule a downtime in order to make the experiment you proposed.