cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-Ray tier A and tier B

YM_user
Level 4

Hi,

I have two VMWare ESxi 5.1. Host A is 8 core CPU and Host B with two 4 core CPU. Host A has 1st AD Server and Exchange Server. Host B has 2nd AD Server and installed with Symantec Backup Exec to make backup for AD Server and Exchange Server but will not backup itself.

V-ray.jpg

Can anyone tell me am I miss license?

Regards,

YM user

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As I said earlier, the inability of to backup the virtualised media server as a VM has nothing to do with licencing.

If you do not get the 2 V-Ray licences for the 2nd host, then you are in violation of licencing terms.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  This is to be expected.  It has nothing to do with licencing.

If your media server is a VM, then you have to back it up as if it is a physical machine. You  cannot back it up as a VM.

Suppose you are able to backup a virtualised media server, how do you restore it in the event of a crash.

YM_user
Level 4

hi pkh,

Thanks for your reply. You mean I haven't owe any license procurement? But why the license box say I haven't enough license and used two 6 core license.

Regards,

YM user

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You have two separate problem and you should have posted them as two discussions. I thought you were asking whether your inability to backup the virtualised media server is due to licencing.

How many V-Ray licences did you buy and install?  If you did not install any Tier A V-Ray licence, then you need to purchase and install 2 Tier A V-Ray licences.

YM_user
Level 4

Hi pkh,

I purchased 1 V-Ray 8 core per CPU license.

Regards,

YM user.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is not sufficient.  The V-Ray edition is licenced on a per occupied-socket basis, so for your second host, you do not have any licence.  You need to buy 2 V-Ray Tier A licences for this second host.

YM_user
Level 4

Hi pkh,

That mean Symantec installed machine should be on machine how many CPU basis. 2nd VMWare host has two CPU and need one additional license?

Regards,

YM user

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  How do you arrive at 1 licence for the second machine if it has 2 CPU.  You need 2 V-Ray licences for the second machine.  Your existing licence is only sufficient for the first machine.

YM_user
Level 4

2nd VMWare host will not backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How can you backup the second host when you do not have the licence for it?

YM_user
Level 4

Will not backup. 2nd AD server (With Symantec Backup v-Ray) is reside on 2nd host for reduce 1st host loading  and only for copy of 1st AD database. 1st AD server has a copy of backup from symantec v-ray edition should be ok.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As I said earlier, the inability of to backup the virtualised media server as a VM has nothing to do with licencing.

If you do not get the 2 V-Ray licences for the 2nd host, then you are in violation of licencing terms.

YM_user
Level 4

Thanks you. I may change 2nd AD resides to 1st VMWare host. 2nd VMWare host only for standby 1st VMWare host.