cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VERITAS 10d and CIFS file system

Ed_n_a
Level 2
I use Veritas 10d and backup all my virtual server VHD files to a NAS device which uses CIFS by default.
I have no problem performing the backups or restores when using Veritas software.
I want to be able to restore these backups taken via veritas using ntbackup.
As per Veritas tech support all .bkf files taken by veritas software are restorable via ntbackup and i have tried that before and never had a problem.
When I try to restore the backups that were taken using veritas to the NAS device using NTBACKUP I notice something strange.
The restore process starts and it processses the first 23kb of data and then it hangs there for hours and I have to cancel it.
After I cancel it and check the log it says.
Restore started on 8/18/2006 at 12:48 PM.
Warning: Unable to set the short 8.3 name for "F:\VM\SVRSMTPFE\SVRSMTPFE.vhd".
Reason: The parameter is incorrect.

If I try restoring it by using veritas I have no problem.
I also tried the same thing but backed up the vhd files via NTBACKUP to the NAS device and I had no problem restoring it.
I also tried the same thing with veritas but instead of using the NAS I used a different backup to disk folder which resides on a windows server with NTFS file type and i tried the restoration proccess via ntbackup and I had no isues.

To make the story short the issue appears only when restoring the veritas backup from the NAS using ntbackup.

If anybody has any idea please let me know.
One more time the NAS device's file system is CIFS.
3 REPLIES 3

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Ed,

What is the OS that is installed and running on the NAS device? Is it emulating any operating system?

Are you backing up from under the remote selections or from user defined selections?

Ed_n_a
Level 2
The OS is a proprietary OS with based on linux kernel.
I am doing remote selections.
Just to explain there are no issues when restoring or backing up via veritas software.
the issue occurs only when restoring those BKF files that were taken via veritas.
When backing up a .vhd file using ntbackup to this NAS device i have no problem restoring it via ntbackup.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

What are the errors occuring in the event logs?

Regards,