cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Guest Disk 1 not being backed up by Agent

Tim_Bizz
Level 4

Using GRT it seems the backup is not backing up anything but Disk0 (Recovery Partition and C:).  I have an E: (Logical Disk1) and GRT does not back this up at all.  Actual it does not even see the Disk let alone back it up.

The Client Server is Windows 2008 R2.  I am using Backup Exec 2010 R2 (Sorry any version later seems to have problems with SQL 2000)

I have all the Transport modes Checked

SAN, Hotadd, NBD, NBDSSL

All items are checked.  

The log is showing Transport mode 'nbd' was used for the disk and backup exec has discovered and protected c: on virtual machine... the it also finds the recovery "volume" on Disk 0.  

All the log says is this:

Backup Exec failed to snap virtual machine '\(DC)ha-datacenter(DC)\vm\... and was unable to collect ...

Any Ideas?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

For that error, check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126737

Also, if that disk is a GPT disk it won't be backed up...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69498

This goes inline with the first TN, but recommends disabling GRT for the server in question!

Thanks!

Tim_Bizz
Level 4

Craig,

Thanks for responding.  I have checked that out but this Server is just a File Server so what is on the other Disk is just File based items.  The disk is a Basic disk so GPT defintely does not factor in on this.  I would expect the first link for the entire Server but I get Granular on the C: drive for this Server.  

Tim_Bizz
Level 4

Craig I will try the one option of removing the GRT for the Server and see if it moves forward and does the indivdual files.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

BE 2010 R2 is the version you said and later version has issue with SQL 2000 ,in this you should upgrade to BE 2010 latest build which is R3 considering it is the final version which 2010 has and is the stable version too and mainly if there are any known Issue then it would be fixed for R3 and not for R2 considering it is the current version

So upgrading to BE2010 r3 would be free upgrade as it will use same licenses and would be inplace upgrade too ,once upgraded ensure you install sp2 and other updates using live update and then finally upgrade remote agent on remote servers too

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

Once upgraded try doing backup again.

Thanks

Tim_Bizz
Level 4

Yes I had tried the BE 2010 R3 version and it does not work correctly with SQL 2000.  I forget the error that it caused but after much time with Symantec Support it could not be resolved so I moved back to BE 2010 R2.  Once we finally migrate to SQL 2008 R2 I will move to 2012 but until then...  

BTW what Craig suggested in the links he provided it did not work.  I will at least keep Granular for the C: drive but I just will not be able to have it for Disk1 (E:)

Thanks for the help so far.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

To understand the issue from here would need to take help of logs would be good if you open a support case for same issue to investigate and resolve it further.

Thanks

Colin_Weaver

if you get Granular restroe information  for C; but not E: is E: a physical RDM disk or a disk configured with a GPT partition (in other words what is different about E: compared with C: as you are probably hitting a limitation of some kind.

Tim_Bizz
Level 4

Disk 0 is Basic with 50GB  100MB is System Reserved and c: is 49.90GB NTFS volume Primary Partition

Disk 1 is Basic with 556.88 GB.  E: is 556.87 GB NTFS Primary Partition

I guess one thing to note is that VMWare ESXi is Version 5.0.0 which may be where my frustration lies as I am thinking of it.

Thanks again

Tim