cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

VM backup fails unable to open disk with SSL error

I just updated from Backup Exec 2014 to 15 FP3. Before the upgrade all backups were being performed fine, after the upgrade none of the vmware backups are working now. I get the following error on every one:

V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.
VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file
VDDK-Warn: SSL: Unknown SSL Error
VDDK-Warn: SSL: connect failed
VDDK-Warn: [NFC ERROR] NfcNewAuthdConnectionEx: Failed to connect to peer. Error: The remote host certificate has these problems:
VDDK-Warn: 
VDDK-Warn: * The host certificate chain is incomplete.
VDDK-Warn: * Host name does not match the subject name(s) in certificate.
VDDK-Warn: * unable to get local issuer certificate

I've looked up the error code, but none of the listed solutions match this error. I found one reference in a completely different backup product's support documents that the latest VDDK (5.5+) defaults to SSL checking, and mentions adding a registry key to skip the certificate check (VerifySSLCertificates=0), but that key already exists on the Backup Exec server and does not appear to have an effect on the backups.

I've also tried re-creating the backup jobs with the same result.

How do I get past this error so the backups will start again?

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: VM backup fails unable to open disk with SSL error

Has the remote agent on these VMs updated as well ?

Is the Agent for VMware & Hyper-V license installed ? If yes, uninstall & reinstall this license.

Lastly, please attach the complete SGmon debug log (for the BE media server, virtual host & VM) for a proper analysis. Thank you.

Highlighted

Remote agent has been

Remote agent has been updated, and clients restarted so the install should be complete.

License is NFR so all agents are licensed (reinstall didn't change errors).

I can get sgmon logs from server and VM, but they have lots of info in them, I don't know if I want to post them publicly here. Is there something in particular I should look for? And what virtual host log would be useful (this is ESXi 5.5u3)?

Highlighted

Has there been any resolution to this problem? I am creating brand new VM jobs in BE 15 and I am recieving the exact same errors. 

Any update on this? we are having problems with backup of virtual machines, and this is getting frustrating.

Highlighted

Re: Remote agent has been

has your besa (backup exec service account) the necesary rights? https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000007044