cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM restore with redirection

ed_smith
Level 3

Have been trying to create a new machine using VM restore.  Have BE 2010R2 running on Windows 2008 R2.  At first when I tried to perform the redirection I received an access error and had to set the User Account Control settings to 'never notify'  Then I could see the virtual center and the esx servers.

I was able to set up the vm restore and rename the restored server using vmware redirection.  When I run the job I get a ' unable to create virtual machine' error on the backup server and a 'this operation not allowed'  on virtual center.  I remember testing this on BE12.5 on a 2003 server and had no problems.  Am thinking it is a rights issue but have had no luck finding any information.

Does anyone have an idea?

tks

ed

4 REPLIES 4

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Please click on link below to see if that helps in your case

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142064

Thank You

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Also please check if your issue related to the one in this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145681 : Restore of a VMWare Virtual Machine with two or more disks on different datastores fails if the backup set is got not through vCenter

You may still give a try to follow the steps in this technote.

Thanks,

-Sush...

ed_smith
Level 3

Guys,

Thanks for the information.  This is really frustrating because it worked very well in BE 12.5 on 2003 systems.  Seems to be something with BE 2010 and 2008R2.  We have been testing disaster recovery scenarios and this problem really limits the effectiveness of BE.  We are currently using a product , VRanger, for our vm backups and it appears that we will continue to do so for the forseable future since BE does not offer us a direct way to either restore or redirect a machine.

tks

ed

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Ed,

Can you please open a case with symantec support by which they can check & get the issue fixed

Let me know with further updates

Thank You