cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare ESXi 5 VM Backup Question

ADBJerry2011
Not applicable

Hello, I am hoping that someone can give me a clarification on how to properly install the BackupExec Agent and the VMWare tools install as well to get a successful VMWare Server backup

I think this is how I need to install VMWare tools and BackupExec remote agent.  Please correct me if I am wrong here.  Thanks

When installing Backup Exec I do not choose the Open File option right since I am above WIndows 2000.

When installing the VMWare tool, I need to choose Custom and Uncheck the Volume Shadow Copy Service

Is the above the correct way?

The reason I am asking is because I am getting this error when tryign to backup a VM

Error                  : e000959a - An attempt to take a snapshot of a virtual machine failed because it was unable to quiesce an application.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Install VMware Tools first. If given an option, do not install couple of components, i.e. Filesystem Sync Driver and Volume Shadow Copy Services Support. Now, install the Remote Agent and reboot the VM.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using BE 2010?  If so, make sure you are using BE 2010 R3 SP1 or above?  Otherwise, ESX 5.0 is not supported. Also, make sure you not using either plain ESX 5.0 or ESX 5.0 SP1.  Anything higher SP is not supported.