cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare VCB backups using backup exec 12.5

ClayCHD
Level 3
I am running a full VM backup job in Backup Exec 12.5 SP2 using VCB running on my BEWS media host. I have the Backup Exec integ module installed and configured. When I run the backup jon with the pre and post scripts pointing to the bat files in the integration module folders. The job fails and the log returns the following error:

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\backupexec\command.wsf(13, 18) Microsoft JScript compilation error: Expected ';'"

I am running this on a Win 2003 SP2 server. this is a new ESX 4.0 installation.

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7

teiva-boy
Level 6
 I take it you are not using the Vmware Agent, since you are using pre/post scripts.
If so, you will probably get more help at the VMware community forums.  

BTW, you need to make sure you are using the latest 1.5 version or later of VCB.  VCB is no longer going to be maintained, and they made a last couple updates, and said "have a nice day, we're done, use vSphere and vStorage instead."

ClayCHD
Level 3
But everything I have read says I need vcb and bews add on to backup my vm's off host. Am I wrong? Tks

teiva-boy
Level 6
 There is the Agent for Vmware, which eliminates ALL pre/post commands and scripting regarding VCB.  vSphere4, does not use VCB anymore, providing you are on at least the "essentials," edition or better.

Or you use scripts and do it the manual method...

Yes you need VCB to do offhost backups, but you also need agents installed to make sure to leverage the correct VSS provider to snap off the applications correctly.  VMware Tools does not do this correctly.

ClayCHD
Level 3
So if I understand... I have BEWS agent for vmware and I have VCB on my media host. I do not need the BEWS add on scripts for VCB? I can run off host VM backups without pre/post scripts? How does itknow where to stage the offhost images to be backed up? Thanks...

teiva-boy
Level 6
So with the AVVI option for BE 12.5, VCB, and Win2k3 SP2 (which is the ONLY OS I believe VMware supports for VCB)

You install VCB on the Win2k3 server (easiest method)
BE12.5 is configured to know that itself or a remote host is the VCB host (done in the job setup properties)

If on a SAN (Preferred) you share the LUN on the SAN to the BE media server, configure your backup job, and BE does what it needs to do.  It handles all it needs to do on the backend, calling the appropriate scripts, commnands, etc.  It snaps the VMDK's, moves them to a snapshot staging area, and BE backs up the snaps, and deletes them when done.

If you are using NBD (network based disk), it's SLOOOOOOOW.  VCB over the network uses the service console port which is crippled intentionally by Vmware.  Speeds are something near 40-50MB/sec max.

Myself and many many others have detailed how to use and common setup errors to VCB.  Search this forum for VCB for more info, and re-order your searches to find the most recent ones going back the last few months.

Since you are using 4.x and NOT 3.x which is what VCB was designed for, you should be using the new vSphere/vStorage API's.  That is of course if you actually paid for ESX 4.x.  Again, the minimum level of Vmware you would need is Essentials, and NOT ESXi.

ClayCHD
Level 3
Thanks I think I am good to go. I have VSphere 4.0 std running ESX I guess the downside is I don't have SAN just 2TB Raid 5 on my ESX host. Ill check this out tomorrow at work Thanks!

ClayCHD
Level 3

Does the BE agent utilize the VStorage API's or is this an additional install that I need to accomplish?