cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare backup failing

TheMagyar
Level 3

Hello all,

I've got an issue when trying to backup vSphere 4 VMs using Backup 2010R2.  It's an intermittent issue, so I'm not exactly sure of the cause.

I have between 15-20 VMs to be backed up.  Everytime I run a backup job I will get one or two VM backups failing with the error below>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 5:27:51 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00095a7 - The operation failed because the virtual center or ESX server reported that the virtual machine's configuration is invalid.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38311

It's frustrating, because I will then run a seperate job after the failed job and the VMs complete without any errors.  The link that Symantec provide does not contain any information. The credentials for the job are good, the media device is a local disk - not sure if any further information is required!

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Magyar
15 REPLIES 15

Bob-Aces
Level 3
Partner Accredited
What is the OS on the servers that are failing ?
And is it every time the same VM's that gives the error ?

TheMagyar
Level 3
Hi Bob,

The OS on the VM servers are Windows Server 2003 (32bit).  The Media server is Windows 2003R2 (64-bit).
There are a pool of about 3-4 servers that cause me this issue.  As I said earlier, it is an intermittent issue affecting roughly 1 in 3 backups.

TheMagyar

SteveBM
Level 2
Same issue here. Only diff is our media server is (32bit)

TheMagyar
Level 3

Hi SteveBM,

I don't suppose you have logged a call with Symantec?  Have you any idea what's going on?  It could be good to compare some notes.

Magyar

SteveBM
Level 2

No i did not log a case. In my case I have resolved the issue. Problem started when i was having another issue with our backup job so i created a new backup with just the one server.

I started getting the exact same issue your getting. When i compared the backup job to my production job I noticed that that the new job was defaulting to the logon for the esx server rather than the logon of our backupexec account under credentials.

I changed the logon to the proper account then re-ran the job and no longer received the error. So you may want to check if its a permission issue or verify it is using the correct account.

Might not help you but that was my issue. Hope that helps

TheMagyar
Level 3

Hi Steve, thanks for the info.  I'm not sure it's the same issue, but the info is good nevertheless.

When you say the logon to the server, I take it you mean the logon credentials to the vSphere server?  Where did you check the credentials - was it in the job setup window or in the log after the job had ran?

Glad to hear that your issue is sorted.

TheMagyar

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Look in the selection list itself (which is avialbel direct form the selection list - or in the job properties.

There is a section for resource crdentials that lets you configure the vCenter or ESX Host credntails and teh Virtual machien credentials

However not sure if invalid credentials would cause an intermittent issue

MicroWorks
Level 3
Backup Exec 2010 R2 with 4 VMWare servers. I get this error only with one virtual server (Windows Server 2008 STD x32). I checked the credentials and they are valid.

SteveBM
Level 2
Have either of you guys upgraded to 2010 R2 from say 12.5 by any chance?

MicroWorks
Level 3
Yes. I did upgrade from 12.5.

TheMagyar
Level 3

No, I didn't.  I upgraded from 2010 to 2010 R2.  But I think I was having the similar, if not the same, problems on 2010R1.

My credentials are fine and I can verify the job before it runs.

SteveBM - Have you an angle on this?

Incidentally, I have Symantec suport involved now - but it's proving difficult to get them focused on the issue.

SteveBM
Level 2
Ok in my case i upgraded from 12.5 to 2010 then to 2010 R2.

I started getting these errors until i talked to a symantec tech. They advised that the way backup exec works in 2010 is totally changed. I re-created my production selection list which all my backup jobs used.

In my case this resolved my error issues completely.

I suspect the backup jobs did not convert properly.

You might want to try this as its a simple check. In my case i just took screen shots of my production list then re-created it exactly and it worked.

Hope that helps.

MicroWorks
Level 3

Thanks anyways Steve for the advice.

Is there any other solution? 

MicroWorks
Level 3
It turned out to be the vCenter that couldn't take a snapshot of the server.

Solution:

1. Create a backup of the virtual machine.
  2. In VMware Infrastructure (VI) Client, browse the datastore where the virtual machine is located.
  3. Verify that there is a enough free space on the datastore to commit the snapshots. 
  4. Right-click on the file with the .vmsd extension and rename it from <vmname>.vmsd to <vmname>.vmsd.old
  5. From VI Client, create a new snapshot.
  6. Click Delete all in the Snapshot Manager to delete the snapshots. This commits the newest snapshot, plus the existing snapshots.  
  7. Delete all of the .vmsd files from the virtual machine directory.
  8. Delete all the .vmsn files from the virtual machine directory.

Hope this will help.

TheMagyar
Level 3
I got my problem solved too!

This KB article sorted it out.  I had to uninstall VMware tools, then reinstall excluding certain tools.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321740.htm

All working now.

Phew!