cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare version compatible to Windows SBS 2008

chinux
Level 2

Hi, I've been trying to convert our physical server to virtual machine.

I was trying to convert it using HyperV but failed since Windows SBS 2008 does not support Backup Exec 2012.

I will try to convert it using VMWare, what version should I use? I The host OS would be Windows SBS 2008.

Thanks,.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You need a third physical machine, Server3, to load ESX. You can then convert Server2 into a VM on Server3. After the conversion, you can use the old physical Server2 for anything. It is no longer needed. You will still need your Server1 to run BE To do this, you would need to get a paid version of ESX and a VMware agent license for BE. As i said previously, you can use any version of ESX from 4.0 to 5.5, but not 5.5 Update 1 Alternately get a full version of Server 2008 R2 and load BE on it. You can then convert Server2 into a VM on this machine. You will need a BE Hyper-V agent license for this

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2012 supports VMware ESX 4.0 to ESX 5.5.  See the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1328840673344

Note that ESX requires a physical machine.  It cannot be loaded onto SBS 2008

If you are thinking of loading BE into a VM and accessing real device, this configuration is not supported.

chinux
Level 2

Hi there. Thank you for your response. Here's the scenario, we have two servers, SERVER1 wherein the BE Manager is installed, SERVER2 which has Agent for Apps and Databases. What I'm trying to do is convert SERVER2 into virtual machine. I will be installing VMWare in SERVER1, therefore SEREVER2virtual will be running in Server1.

What VMWare should I use?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As pkh mentioned earlier, VMware host (ESX/ESXi) needs to be loaded on a physical machine and its not to be loaded on a Windows box. You can have a virtual machine or even the vCenter on a Windows box, but not the actual virtual host itself.

Secondly, when running a physical to virtual conversion, the virtual host needs to be existing in the environment already. You cannot perform the conversion without the process contacting the virtual host.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You need a third physical machine, Server3, to load ESX. You can then convert Server2 into a VM on Server3. After the conversion, you can use the old physical Server2 for anything. It is no longer needed. You will still need your Server1 to run BE To do this, you would need to get a paid version of ESX and a VMware agent license for BE. As i said previously, you can use any version of ESX from 4.0 to 5.5, but not 5.5 Update 1 Alternately get a full version of Server 2008 R2 and load BE on it. You can then convert Server2 into a VM on this machine. You will need a BE Hyper-V agent license for this

chinux
Level 2

Thank you very much. I understand it now.

But, can't I have an option that doesn't need a third physical server? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can if Server1 can be upgraded to Server 2008 R2

chinux
Level 2

Hi, thank you very much for your response. I would like to verify what you've said.

I have two options:

1. Upgrade OS to 2008 R2 (which is not possible for now).

2. Install a VMWare ESX in another Physical server (Server3). where Server2 virtual server is to be restored.

• In this case, does Server3 need to have same specs as Server2? I will be using random old server.
  • .vhd file of Server2 will be stored in Server3, right?
  • Can I retransfer the Server2 Virtual Server to Server2 Physical Machine since Server2 Physical Machine would be free after conversion?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. You got to check the requirements of the hypervisor that you want to use on Server3 2. Yes 3. You got to load the same hypervisor on Server2 before you can move the virtual Server2 back