cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Agent Backup on Dedicated VLAN

Crazy_Excalibur
Level 4

I have Backup Exec 2012 with the VMware Agent. I have been backing up Full VMs by creating backup jobs through vCenter Server. I want to switch it so my backups go through a dedicate backup VLAN we have. I have been able to do this on physical servers by adding NICs on the physical servers with that Subnet, and adding Host File entries for the Backup Server. The backups succeed and show that they go through the backup vLAN.

How is this done with ESX? I'm confused if its the same thing or if it's different because of vCenter. The version of ESX and vCenter is 4.1

Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes it would, but since your backup server targets the VC this might not be possible.

Unless you had a SAN in place where you could connect your VC too (assuming it wasn't already), which would allow you to use the SAN Transport method. This wouldn't traverse your LAN at all.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

The concept should be the same but you'd have physical NICs in each host dedicated to backups only. Create your vswitch in ESX, assign the vNIC to a guest VM and assign it an IP.

Within BE itself, add the backup NIC's IP address as a custom entry and this should run across those NICs only. You'd also select the IP range to use within BE itself.

Thanks!

Crazy_Excalibur
Level 4

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking in this direction, but it seems that this would work when doing a backup of a VM as a server (Files/Folders). I'm doing a backup of the vmdk file on the ESX servers.So wouldn't the backup need access to the ESX Hosts (Backup VLAN nics)?

CraigV

Yes it would, but since your backup server targets the VC this might not be possible.

Unless you had a SAN in place where you could connect your VC too (assuming it wasn't already), which would allow you to use the SAN Transport method. This wouldn't traverse your LAN at all.

Thanks!