cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware CBT and Backup Exec 2012 Jobs

Shaun_M1
Level 3

Hello,

We're running Vsphere 5.1 and Backup Exec 2012 and currently we do two types of backup: a full VMDK to tape at 6PM and an agent backup. We have around 7TB of data and it takes the best part of 12 hours to complete the schedule.

I want to change the backup types and make use of CBT in VMware. Obviously this will mean changing the job types but to what?

If I create a new job the default is "Full every 1 week on a Friday" and with a following stage of "Incremental at 11pm and every 1 day".

Will this suffice?

Also, I'd like to do away with the agent backups - how do I go about restoring individual files and folders without using the agent?

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To make use of CBT, you just have to enable CBT in the VM itself.  When you run incremental jobs, it will make use of CBT.

Without installing the remote agent in the VM, you would not be able to do GRT of files and databases.

Note that vSphere 5.1 is not supported.  See this discussion

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vsphere-51-support-update

Shaun_M1
Level 3

We're using 5.1 and Backup Exec 2012 SP1 and we're not having any problems so far.

I want to change our approach so whether or not it's supported, what do I need to do to configure an Agent Assisted Backup Job in BE?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You just have to install the remote agent in the VM by pushing the remote agent to the VM. Click on the BE button then click on Installation and Licencing followed by Install Agents.

Shaun_M1
Level 3

Thank you.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Shaun,

You may want to go to this link and register for the Beta patch that will be available by the end of this month.

https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/?callid=52801D5ABA034CC18A15C8E8E5CB2F99

Also answering your other query " how do I go about restoring individual files and folders without using the agent?"

During restore of individual files and folders Backup Exec has to connect to the Operating System inside the VM. For that BE has to use its Remote agent on the remote machine (VM). So even in supported configuration you will not be able to restore individual files and folders to the VM without Remote agent installed on the VM. This will also hold true for ESX 5.1 backups and restores when it will be supported.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited