cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware ESXi 5.0.0,469512 (Free Version) Backup Plan

ericSean
Level 3

Hi all,

After spending a long time searching on the Net but I am still unable to decide what is the right items and license I should get for the Symantec backup solution. Hopefully someone can advices and share your idea with me.

Ideally we are looking for a backup solution which able to perform the following backup needed. Firstly, backup all VMs image to a tape device for DR. Secondly, backup the individual file on Box A and mailbox on Box B for audit prupose. Existing environment 1 physcial machine hosting 3 VMs (ESXi 5.0.0,469512 FREE version), all data store in the local storage (RAID6).

Box A - AD, File sharing / Box B - Exchange / Box C - SQL Express

My Question are

1. Do I require to build a standalone machine to install the BE2012 core applicaton and attach to the tape for backup

2. What I need to purchase on VM (Essential or Standard license)

http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.233862100?resid=TwqaW...

3. What I need to purchase on Backup Exec 2012 

Backup Exec 2012 Core

Backup Exec 2012 Agent for VMware 

Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Exchange

Thanks

Sean

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Do I require to build a standalone machine to install the BE2012 core applicaton and attach to the tape for backup

- Whats the overload on the existing server ? Is it a vm or a physical machine & do consider a machine which might require reboots...

2. What I need to purchase on VM (Essential or Standard license)

- Standard is fine if you plan on not using hotadd transport, else would require essential..

3. What I need to purchase on Backup Exec 2012 

Backup Exec 2012 Core

Backup Exec 2012 Agent for VMware 

Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Exchange

- Core is ofcourse required...agent for VMware is fine for regular VMs, i.e. would backup regular file data for 3 VMs, exchange agent is required for Box B & if you plan on backing up SQL with GRT, a SQL license for Box C is required as well...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need this because it is not recommended that you use a VM for your media server.

ericSean
Level 3

Awesome smiley One last thing expert 

is the "Agent for VMware" allow to backup the VMs as a VM's image and file data as well to tape??

ericSean
Level 3

Thanks pkh.. now I am more clear with my backup plan ..... NICE

VJware
Level 6

VMWare agent backups entire VM & allows granular restore as well...This agent includes unlimited remote agents for usage in the VMs & using this remote agent, you can select part of the vmdk as well...And yes, can backup to tape or disk...

ericSean
Level 3

Conclusion here due to the limited budget I decide to go for the minium backup solution using Symantec Backup Exec 2012

1. Will build a standalone server and join doamin as a BACKUP server

2. Install Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Core on the BACKUP server and connect with a LTO 4 external Tape device

3. Purchase Backup Exec 2012 Agnet for Applications and Database to backup 3 VMs

This solution will allow me to performance a backup for Bare Metal backup for all VMs plus Box A FILE level , Box B EMAIL level and Box C Database level. Special note this solution will not triggler VM image level backup.

BackupHound
Level 3

Dont forget the dedupe option, its useful when backing up 100GB VMDKs boi.

Colin_Weaver

His proposed solution does not backup the VMDKs as he will be using remote agents and backing up the content via the virtualized operating systems, and it looks like he is planning to go to tape as well.

However concern here is that he has missed the restore requirements for individual e-mails (GRT) from tape - which will need disk space on the media server for the staging area. So he should perhaps be looking at DeDup/B2D with Duplicate to tape option to make GRT restores efficient.