cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS: An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly re-synchronized with the original volumes.

vac
Level 3

Hi all,

at a customer’s site I’ve a problem with a fresh installation of Backup Exec 2014. Every backup (full or incremental) always reports the following error: “An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly re-synchronized with the original volumes.”.

On this site I have three servers; the error is only generated for one of them. Here’s a short overview:

Server1: Windows Server 2012 R2, latest patchlevel, physical machine, Domain Controller and Fileserver. Backup Exec is installed on this machine, backup is written directly to SAS tape loader. There error is generated on this server.

Server2: Windows Server 2008 R2, latest patchlevel, virtual machine, running on Citrix Xen Server 6.2. Used for remote desktop services, no errors on this server.

Server3: Windows Server 2012 R2, latest patchlevel, virtual machine, database server with some SQL Instances, no errors on this server.

As I said, error is reported only on server1, no matter if it is a full or an incremental backup. During the backup I found the following errors is the event log (translated from a german system):

Event ID: 12293
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider. "{89300202-3cec-4981-9171-19f59559e0f2}" an error occured. Routinedetails Error calling Query(). [0x80042302] [hr = 0x80042302, unexpected component error of the Volume Shadow Copy Service.

Process:

Volume Shadow Copy polling

Volume Shadow Copy delete

Context:

Executioncontext: Coordinator

Executionkontext: Coordinator

And

Event ID: 8193
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling Routine "IVssCoordinator::Query" hr = 0x8004230f, Unexpected error Volume Shadow Copy Service Provider

Process:

Volume Shadow Copy delete

Context:

Executioncontext: Coordinator

There are some articles about this error in the knowledge base or web which does not help or do not apply to my environment for example:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38338&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

What I already have tried:

• Disabled Antivirus during the whole backup
  • Installed Service Pack 2 for Backup Exec
  • Rebooted the server
  • vssadmin list writers do not show any errors
  • consult eventid.net for other possible solutions

Anymore ideas from you guys?

Best regards,

Christoph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vac
Level 3

Hi,

in my case the problem was the missing vss writer "system writer". when you run "vssadmin list writers" check if it's listed. If not, there are several possible solutions which can be easily found via google. In my case they all does not help and I eneded up, reinstalling the whole machine.

Also it's not a Symantec related problem because the cause it is the missing writer which comes from the Microsoft OS.

Best wishes & good luck.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Disable shadow copies on the media server and then enable it again. This time remove any limits on the shadow copies

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to the above, do enable AOFO in the backup job and set it to use the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider.

vac
Level 3

Hi,

forgot to mention that: already done this. There are no limits set for vss on the volume.

best regards,

Christoph

vac
Level 3

Hi,

AOFO was already enabled. I changed the setting from "Automatic" to "Microsoft VSS". Manual started a job, error still persist.

Best regards,

Christoph

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Does a native Windows backup complete successfully ?

vac
Level 3

no, failed as well.

Best regards,

Christoph

v8rules
Not applicable

I've got exectly the same here. I was hoping for a solution when I found this.

vac
Level 3

Hi,

in my case the problem was the missing vss writer "system writer". when you run "vssadmin list writers" check if it's listed. If not, there are several possible solutions which can be easily found via google. In my case they all does not help and I eneded up, reinstalling the whole machine.

Also it's not a Symantec related problem because the cause it is the missing writer which comes from the Microsoft OS.

Best wishes & good luck.