cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Snapshot Warning: The file C:\windows\system32\ias\ias.xml is not present int he snapshot

help_me_rondo
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi, I am getting an error message in every backup I run. It's a VSS Snapshot error that reads: VSS Snapshot warning. File C:\Windows\system32\ias\ias.xml is not present on the snapshot. The server ia m trying to backup is a Win2K8 domain controller. The file doesn't exist onth e server, I've tried re-creating it by renaming a blank text file. That doesn't resolve the problem. I've tried changing the snapshot provider and the error still occurs. I've read articles on this forum where people have found registry keys and altered themb ut I dont' have those registry keys on my server. If anyone has any advice on how I go about resolving this error, that'd be much appreciated. Cheers, #9 Rondo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

This document might help :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/340950
Backups complete with the exception: "VSS snapshot warning. File [PATH] [FILENAME] is not present on the snapshot."

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi there,
I´m a newbie in netbackup.. and I really don´t knowabout backup exec.

but I had some problems about the ISO that was used to install the server

Iso´s made w/ NLITE and simulars brokes the shadow copy components that natbackup uses to get files..

Sorry if that post is useless but there is a lot of pappers at microsoft.com about it.

see ya

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

This document might help :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/340950
Backups complete with the exception: "VSS snapshot warning. File [PATH] [FILENAME] is not present on the snapshot."

Hope this helps...

br_nar
Level 3

I've had several similar reports in the past. You can search your registry for references to this file.
Start searching HKLM\System for any occurances of 'ias\ias.xml'  and you'll probably have one or more references.
Depending on the exact registry path where the reference is found, I would try to delete (backup first!) the registry value or the complete key (eg: if it is a service, which is no longer available).
You also might need to reboot the server afterwards, before the error will go away.

If you cannot find it under HKLM\System, you can try a search starting at the HKLM toplevel.

Good luck!

help_me_rondo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

RESOLVED!!

Cheers guys... it was a combination of re-creating the XML file on the target system and also un-installing Network Policy Server (cheers for the article DevT)  on our DC (wasn't being used anyhow, no one is sure how it got on there after all this time without it).

Thanks to all who contributed wih responses, you were all very helpful!

Cheers,

Rondo