cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS / Snapshot backup of Mailstore database not supported?

Chad_Bilbao
Level 2

I am evaluating Backup Exec 2012 for backup of a mail archiving solution called Mailstore v7 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 platform.  Mailstore includes a database and file structure that needs to be backed up.  I have created a backup job configured to use the Advanced Open File using Microsoft's Snapshot provider to backup this data. The backup seems to complete without error.   However, Mailstore says a successful backup is indicated by the following log entries in the application log.

1. A backup session has been started.

2. The archvie has been frozen as a reaction on th OnPrepareSnapshot event.

3. The archive has been thawn as a reaction on the OnThaw event.

4. The backup session has been shut down.

None of these events show up in the application log.

Mailstore provides a VSS writer that does show up when running the vssadmin list providers from the command prompt.  Backup Exec does not seem to be using it.

Tests with Windows backup, Backup Assistant and Acronis do result in the the correct entries in the application log. 

How do I get Backup Exec 2012 to take a proper snapshot of the Mailstore database?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As that software is not on our SCL I suspect the answer is likely to be get the vendor of that software to approach Symantec about support.

However as we also offer a mail archiving solution it is possible that we may decide not to support it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver

As that software is not on our SCL I suspect the answer is likely to be get the vendor of that software to approach Symantec about support.

However as we also offer a mail archiving solution it is possible that we may decide not to support it.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Colin, this is a VSS issue, not an SCL issue.

That said, search for VSS, in these forums to see if other folks are having any similar issues.

Coline is however correct that BackupExec and no other mainstream product I know of, supports that application.  But thats not to say, it cannot back it up.  It's just that some of the native integration pieces Symantec has for Exchange or Lotus are not availble for your mail application.

Chad_Bilbao
Level 2

Thanks.

Colin_Weaver

We don't support all 3rd party VSS providers, as such yes it is a VSS issue but for a VSS provider supplied as part of an unsupported/untested application.