cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error".

CliffZ
Level 3

Hi All,

Recently, our daily backup keeps logging this warning message.

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

I tried a couple of things after researching:

1. Changed the Advanced Open File to Microsfte volume shadow Copy Service + System-Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider.

2. Enabled Shadow Copy on C: drive

3. Created a temporary backup by using same selection and default setting plus Use Advanced Open file Option (left others default). This job works fine without Warning. Then I copied this job to daily schedule jobs (Monday-Friday) and deleted all existing jobs. However, those copied jobs are still logging warning message as above.

So what to do now?  Thanks to all replies in advanced.

It is Symantec Backup Exec 2010 on windows 2008 R2 64bit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try re-registering the VSS components.  See the document below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486

If you are not already on BE 2010 R3, I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or www.backupexec.com.  After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate to update it to SP1.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

For what OS the backups are failing.

CliffZ
Level 3

Folders on local c: drive on itself (2008 r2 64bit)

It is not failed. it is completed with exceptions.  I can see the data size on the tape.

Job ended: Friday, September 30, 2011 at 5:45:39 AM
Completed status: Completed with exceptions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try re-registering the VSS components.  See the document below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486

If you are not already on BE 2010 R3, I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or www.backupexec.com.  After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate to update it to SP1.

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

If re-register not working, you may try to apply Win2008 R2 hotfixs. There are a couple of them out there addressing VSS issue.

Thx