cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Snapshot error when backup to external USD Disk

mml4sym
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I have a Windows 2008 64-bit Enterprise server with SP1. It's configured with BackupExec 12.0. I'm able to backup the entire server (Active Directory, System State, Exchange 2007 database, Files, etc) to LTO 2 media until I setup the external WD USB 3.0 HD.

If I backup to the external USB WD 3.0 TB HD, I got the VSS Snapshot error while backing up the Information store and System state. I'm able to backup other files which don't require VSS.

The error is "V-79-57344-34110 - A0F0: Initialization failure on: "\\Server\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used; Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Server (VSS).

VSS Snapshot error. The MIcrosoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What happens when you backup to a B2D folder on an internal disk.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...what happens if you run the following command from a command prompt: vssadmin list writers

Are your writers all stable and running? If not, try restarting the server or reregistering the VSS writers as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

If it is Windows Server 2003, check on Google for WIndows Server 2003 VSS Rollup Patch and load that if the writers aren't stable.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using GRT for Active Directory (ADRA) if yes try disabling this (as a test)

Also what disk format is on the USB disk? Some USB disks come with a form of FAT32 and not NTFS which might cause problems.

mml4sym
Level 2
Partner Accredited
System State backup works if I send the backup to B2D folder on an internal disk.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your drive is definitely not in the BE 12 HCL and hence not supported.  You should test its functionality with

B2Dtest.exe

mml4sym
Level 2
Partner Accredited
It works if I disable the GRT for Active Directory and Exchange. Can I restore the entire Active Directory system state and Exchange database without GRT?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Brick-level backups were removed by MS from 2007 onwards.

Why not disable GRT for Active Directory and let it run for Exchange to see if it allows the backup to run through?

Something else to consider is splitting your backups off from each other...data running AOFO seperately from Exchange NOT running AOFO. Read below...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can restore the entire AD by restoring the system state.  This is what you would have done if you do not have ADRA.