cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Snapshot error

prs246191
Level 5

Hello, I am running BE 2012 and I'm trying to back up a new server. Since the server is offsite it is acting as it's own media server. When I try to back it up I am receiving:

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\ServerName.DomainName.com\System?State". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot technology selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

I tried turning the AFO to software for the provider instead of Automatic. No Dice. The job is also throwing exceptions for every other component to the server in regards to VSS. When I check the event logs I receive 2 errors corresponding to one job:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details EndPrepareSnapshots({4a616c26-02a5-42f0-a4a0-f35e21f6925c}) [hr = 0x8000ffff]. Operation: Executing Asynchronous Operation Context: Current State: DoSnapshotSet

AND One saying the backup job failed... Can anyone give me some insight on how to fix this?

30 REPLIES 30

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It is fine if you want to take the risk despite Microsoft's warning, but it is another thing to ask another user to take the risk. Are you going going to stand beside him when he has to explain to his boss what has gone wrong?

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Same goes for you. On all the advice you give, are you sure nothing will go wrong ? This is still a forum where users try to help each other and you always have to do research on your own.

I work only on customer systems and yes I done it alot. Its usually down to rebuilding or re registering, so if it goes wrong well then it's rebuilding anyway. VSS errors are extremely annoying and difficult to troubleshoot... re registering has fixed it every single time for me when all other solutions fail.

and if you read his post...even symantec advised him to do it so yeah... i'm the one taking risks here ;)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you read my advice, they are always the recommended way. I do not tell others to do things which may harm their systems. When you ask him to re-register the VSS DLL's, are you aware of Microsoft's warning against this practice? Of yes, why didn't you warm the user?

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I only made the recommendation because it is the recommended way, even told so by Symantec.

I had cases about this to with Symantec, and they always refer to that, they do mention that it can be dangerous.

And yes I am aware of the microsoft statement, but you already mentioned that in your previous post so the info was there.

So you would recommend him to rebuild his system ? While he can save the trouble and try to re register the DLLs which CAN save him the rebuild. If it fails...wel that is a bummer but you were intending to rebuild anyway.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

All I can say is we have repeatedly advised staff to stop recommending this practice and will be doing so again because of this thread. 

prs246191
Level 5

I think Maurijo has a good point...  Why not try to reregister the vss writers via script...  Obvisously I will back up all of my files before trying and then give it a go...  If it works great, I saved myself a 4 hour round trip car ride and a long day...  If not I am going to have to rebuild it anyway...  I know it seems like a shortcut but honestly this is a very small server that really is only used for roaming profiles at the momment...  Does anyone have a script to reregister the vss writers on a server 2008 r2 x64 box?

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I used the one that is on the microsoft technote.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Collin,

Then I am sorry to advise this. But I do tend to take everything a TSE advises me as being true and tested. You can not expect me to double check everything a TSE says...

I call Symantec when I need help so I expect the person I get on the phone to be experienced and trained to help me. In the past, most of the times I got someone on the phone that knew far less then me...

But the fact stays true that it does help with the VSS errors and if you ARE planning to rebuild anyway you can just give it a shot.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...honestly as a TA, I am always going to recommend that VSS writers on Windows do not get reregistered, as pr Symantec and MS...they seem to be the experts on this, not some TSE. I've also been advised to do some stuff that I didn't agree with and fixed it my way, so not all advice should just be accepted.

Also, this discussion/argument about reregistering VSS writers should come to an end and the OP allowed to find a solution using whatever. Colin's answer should be accepter as rote. On these forums, do not reregister VSS writers.

Thanks!

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I will keep that in mind. I am not trying to start a fight, just trying to state that the "supported" way isn't always the good way :)

Collin, I apologize if I offended you in anyway.

Pkh, you still rock so whatever ;)

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Looking at the error at the begining only:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details EndPrepareSnapshots({4a616c26-02a5-42f0-a4a0-f35e21f6925c}) [hr = 0x8000ffff]. Operation: Executing Asynchronous Operation Context: Current State: DoSnapshotSet

This reminds me of:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd364859(v=ws.10).aspx

Which lead me to this: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009513

Which makes sense with the symptoms that was being discribed.

-Dave