cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\inf\oemX.inf is not present on the snapshot.

Christian_Staal
Not applicable

BE 12.5, Windows SBS 2003 Premium R2, full backup, remote agent on Windows Server 2008.

I received the following warning messages at every backup.

Backup- \\ts-srv.domain.local\System?State
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\inf\oem4.inf is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\inf\oem13.inf is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\inf\oem14.inf is not present on the snapshot.

But these oemXX.inf files did not exist in c:\windows\inf folder on that server and there wasn't any related registry entries.

This wasn't a selection list problem since the snapshot warning occured during backup of System State.

This particular problem has been discussed in the following thread
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vss-snapshot-warning-file-oem0inf-not-present-snapsho...

The proposed "solution" is to create dummy files to satisfy VSS.
In my oppinion this solution doesn't solve the real problem - That some file references are wrong.

My warnings occured after an uninstall/upgrade of Symantec Endpoint Protection client on that server.
From version 11.0.5 or 11.0.6 to version 11.0.7000.975.

As mjaarons and Utilize points out in the above thread, the problem is really a bad SEP uninstall routine.
Some left-over "Teefer 2" drivers is not remove correctly.
I found left-overs of "teefer2x_inf_xxxx" folders in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

So what I did was:

Copied the teefer2.inf file from the first folder to C:\Windows\inf\oem4.inf
Executed
 pnputil -e
 pnputil -f -d oem4.inf

Copied the teefer2_m.inf file from the second folder to C:\Windows\inf\oem13.inf
Executed
 pnputil -e
 pnputil -f -d oem13.inf

etc...

Dont touch the Teefer3 driver since it seems to be used by the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Result: This removed the old drivers and references to the oemX.inf files and gave me a "Backup Job Completed Successfully".

0 REPLIES 0