cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Volume Shadow Copy

Derrick_Yeo
Level 3

Hi guys,

There is an backup problem which I hope you guys could help me with. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Recently, I had another team member of mine who configured shadow copies snapshots on the machine to take daily snapshots of the machine on Windows Explorer. I suspect this is causing my backup jobs to clash as the shadow copy services are running.

I typically use Advanced File Option to enable VSS backup on Symatec BE 12.5 and now even when I exclude VSS and backup only files on my C drive, it fails.

Can anyone who have experienced such scenario provide me some advise to check?

Thank you in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should configure your shadow copy component snapshots to be done during the time when there is no backup job running.

For your backup jobs, enable AOFO and let it automatically select the technology.

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Please be aware VSS is NOT only used for Open File backup, nearly all backup processes in the current range of Microsoft Opersting systems make use of VSS. What this means is that disabling AOFO is no longer a way to ensure that a VSS operation will not take place during a backup.

Oh and with regards your issue have you deleted all the existing Shadopw Copy Snaphsots from the volumes - as disabling and / or stopping future ones might not be enough you probablty need to remove the saved ones to fix your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should configure your shadow copy component snapshots to be done during the time when there is no backup job running.

For your backup jobs, enable AOFO and let it automatically select the technology.

Derrick_Yeo
Level 3

Hi Pkh,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I have tried to do what you have suggested but it still fails. I have also disabled/delete all future shadow component snapshots. But Backup Exec is disallowing me to copy files to the tape.

Thank you once again!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Post all the error messages that you are getting.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Please be aware VSS is NOT only used for Open File backup, nearly all backup processes in the current range of Microsoft Opersting systems make use of VSS. What this means is that disabling AOFO is no longer a way to ensure that a VSS operation will not take place during a backup.

Oh and with regards your issue have you deleted all the existing Shadopw Copy Snaphsots from the volumes - as disabling and / or stopping future ones might not be enough you probablty need to remove the saved ones to fix your problem.

Derrick_Yeo
Level 3

Hi Colin,

I have followed your advice and deleted existing snapshots from the machine. Now it does run succesfully.

Thank you PKH and Colin for valuable advice !