cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS-Writer Error 0xE000FED1

Romy_Glauser
Level 3
We are running Backup-Exec 10d Rev 5629 on a HP ML350G3 on W2003 R2 and 4 RAWS on MS Virtual Server 2005 with W2003 R2 on two HP ML350G4p (two VMs per physical Server). Few days ago BackupExec SP1was installed and the RAWS were reinstalled via Remote-Agent installation (with prior uninstall of RAWS).

Running a full- or differential-backup on either "Backup to disk" or "tape" fails. Until now (about 2 weeks) the backup of physical systems which are also running under W2003 R2 did not fail (maybe just Murphy). It's only the VMs that are affected until now.

The VSS-Writer Error 0xE000FED1 comes up on any of the virtual-instances. VSSAdmin List Writers shows NOT allways the same writers failing after a backup. Sometimes WMI-Writer, sometimes IIS Metabase Writer, sometimes COM+ Writer... The problem occours in both, if openfileoptions is enabled or not in the running job.

In the beginning (about three weeks ago) backup worked fine for several jobs. I have a feeling, that troubles have began since I added differential-jobs. Now differential jobs are deleted, but the problems persist. Anything else has not been changed on the infrastructure since then.

SP1 did not help.

With Version 10 we haven't had this problems.

Need urgent help! Thanxs

Roger
9 REPLIES 9

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278212

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Romy_Glauser
Level 3
Hello

Thank you. I certainly did already read this technote. In this technote is no solution described - except:

A) reboot the system
B) ask Microsoft

Number A): I do reboot the systems every time the writer "hangs". It sometimes helps for one backup-cycle, the second definitively fails again with a "hanging" writer.

Number B) In event viewer no entries are made. As you always want customer to do a NTBackup, I already did run several jobs. NTBackup works fine without crashing the writer.

I kindly ask you to please come up with better ideas asap, as this problem is absolutely critical!

Important: The reported problems did not occur with 10.0 so it must be a BE-Bug.

Regards
Roger

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

You can refer to the below mentioned technote to find if really VSSAdmin Writers are not functionning well :

How to troubleshoot the error "A failure occurred querying the Writer status" (a000fed1 HEX or e000fed1 HEX) using VSSADMIN
http://support.veritas.com/docs/261993

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Romy_Glauser
Level 3
Hi there

Was just wondering if anybody at Symantec is interested in customer-care? Could you please give me a helping hand on this issue...?

Thanxs
Roger

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Have you applied following patch?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833167

We also recommend you contact Microsoft, if the "writer" status for all writers is not showing stable!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Romy_Glauser
Level 3
Hi

I just applied this fix and am now gaining experience on that. Will let you know more about the result later.

Thank you so far.

Regards
Roger

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Please update us on this if the patch applied was correct?

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Romy_Glauser
Level 3
Hello

The fix "WindowsServer2003-KB891957-x86-DEU.exe" I received from microsoft did not help in this case. But with this very little experience I tend to say the problem is only remaining on one server and it's allways the same writer (com+) that fails. I will correct this information in case the other server gets affected again.

I reported this fact also to Microsoft.

Any more suggestions?

Regards

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

1.Create a new backup job.

2. Select the entire "Shadow copy component" for backup. Do not select individual components under the "shadow copy components" for backup.

3. In case of any further doubts you may try backing up through Windows native backup utility. Stop all the Backup Exec services and run NTbackup and select shadow copy components, which was selected using Backup Exec. You may verify the result with NT utility and revert back to us. This would help us to isolate the problem that you are facing.

Another method which you can try to isolate the problem is given below:- When backing up the System State of a Windows 2003 server Backup Exec v9.x implements a Microsoft technology known as Volume Shadow Copy. This will show on a server as the VSS service. To use this technology we query writers. These writers are what actually gather the data from its current state and present it to the backup software in a manner that it can be backed up, even if the data is in use. If these writers are not working correctly than the job will fail.

To troubleshoot this error please do the following right after a backup completes. The reason that this command must be run shortly after a backup completes is that the writers will try to reset back to a stable state:

1. Open a Command Prompt on the server in question 2. Type "VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS" without the quotes 3. Read through the output and ensure that the writers are all showing a State of " Stable" and that Last Error is showing "No error."

4. If they are not then reboot the server to try and reset the writers.

5. Once the writers are showing " Stable" use the native Windows backup utility to backup the System State. After this completes run the VSSADMIN command again and compare to what was listed after the backup with Backup Exec.

If the writers do not reset after a period of time or the native backup utility also fails Microsoft Technical Support will have to be contacted.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.