cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS errors for local backup with 100TB drive attached

Bill_Clark22
Level 3

Getting odd VSS/snapshot errors on a single job after adding a new, locally-attached SAN to the server.  The new SAN has 100TB of usable space, a big increase from the 40TB SAN that was replaced.  Ever since then, a job that is backing up some data from the local BackupExec server C & D drives to the attached E-drive SAN completes, but shows this exception:  The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered: A snapshot operation required by this job was unsuccessful. Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.  

I came across this support article:  Windows System State backup fails if any mounted volume's capacity is greater than 63,000,000,000,00....  I made the specific registry entry and restarted the server but every time this job runs I get the same exception error.  One interesting thing to note, is that I have unchecked the "use snapshot technology" for this particular job, yet the exception error still references a snapshot operation.  While this job does complete, seeing the exception errors is getting annoying.  Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1

kf2013
   VIP   

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/backup-and-storage/usability-limit-volu...

Cause

This issue occurs because Microsoft does not support VSS on volumes larger than 64 TB. Also, writable snapshots or snapshots larger than 64 TB are not supported.

U may split 100TB into 2 drives