cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS service locks up, job backs up

Susan235
Level 2

Backup exec 20.5. Upgraded to 20.6 and no change. Server 2016.

I can back up other servers just fine. When it backs up the server it is on, the job freezes and the VSS service is frozen as "stopping".

Unable to use vssadmin list writers while it is like this.

This is also a Hyper-V host.

It was running for several months without issues and this started. No recent patches installed, other than 20.6 to try and fix this.

I am seeing a lot of this error:

The activation of the CLSID {E579AB5F-******} timed out waiting for the service VSS to stop. Code:10029. Source Dcom.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80080005, Server execution failed. Operation: Instantiating VSS server. Event ID: 8193

3 REPLIES 3

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
Does this apply in your case
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100045623?q=*&undefined&docRepo=true

Refer the related article as well !

Thanks for the reply.

That doesn't apply in my case. I have a HP Proliant server, no UEFI, server 2016.

Before it became a Server 2016 Hyper-V host, it ran server 2012 R2 and Backup exec 14 for several years without issues. It was then upgraded to Server 2016, BE 20 on a fresh install.

I'm having the same problem, I have a Server 2019 Hyper-V virtual machine being backed up by Backup Exec 21. The backup completes successfully but the storage for the VM goes offline and the VSS service locks up.

I get the error in DistibutedCOM: "The activation of the CLSID {******} timed out waiting for the service VSS to stop"

The server won't shut down and needs a hard reset to come back to life.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?