cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valid Backup Exec 20 license doesn't work, stuck in trial mode

stavros
Level 2

To whom it may concern. We have Backup exec 20 and it was working fine and completely licensed until December 2019. But now Veritas requires that we renew the license yearly.  I went to Vertitas licensing and downloaded another license and then followed the procedure outlined in this web site to remove the existing license and then re-add in the new license. https://www.techsoup.org/support/articles-and-how-tos/how-to-renew-your-backup-exec-licensing
However, yesterday our backups stopped since apparently the license I installed on November 20, 2019 didn't work and the server was in Trial mode, which ran out yesterday.   We are a small non profit and purchased the license through techsoup.org, so we got a NFR perpetual license, which in theory should be good forever.

After doing the procedure again last night, when I go to license, I enter the new license which is valid from yesterday until 2021, and then go through the procedure, however, when it says which product to apply the license to, there is nothing showing. After installing the license, when I go to Installation and Licensing --> License Information, it says "Your trial period has expired".
When I go to Installation and LIcensing --> License Contract Information, the screen is blank. Nothing is showing.

When I go to Installation and LIcensing --> Install features and licenses on this backup exec server - it shows active license Entitlement ID A403XXXXXXX - Backup Exec Not for Resale Start Date 1/20/2020 End Date 1/19/2020.

I tried upgrading to version Backup Exec 20.6 last night and the same behavior holds true.  So despite having a valid license, it is not applying to the Backup Exec 20 server for any reason. 

Please help, we need backups!valid license.JPGlicense information.JPGlicense contract.JPGCapture.JPG

Thank you
David and Julia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

stavros
Level 2

I fixed it myself by uninstalling and then reinstalling the entire Backup Exec system.   This is a atrosity that I'm going to have to reinstall the backup system every time I renew the license year to year.   Going to a yearly renewal of the license is one of the most stupid things I've seen from Veritas especially since it forces clients to have to reinstall to fix their system to apply the license.  I hope you fix this in later releases of the product and go back to a perpetual license.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

stavros
Level 2

I fixed it myself by uninstalling and then reinstalling the entire Backup Exec system.   This is a atrosity that I'm going to have to reinstall the backup system every time I renew the license year to year.   Going to a yearly renewal of the license is one of the most stupid things I've seen from Veritas especially since it forces clients to have to reinstall to fix their system to apply the license.  I hope you fix this in later releases of the product and go back to a perpetual license.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@stavros 

Apologies that nobody even attempted to answer.

I had a procedure that Customer Care once shared with us to remove old .slf files and then reinstall the licenses.
My laptop hard drive crashed in December and Mrs Backup did not have a backup. 

I have asked my colleague who logged the call to send me the details. Will ask again today and post as soon as I have it. 
You can then keep the procedure somewhere safe in case you have the same issue next year. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@stavros 

Once again - I apologize for not responding sooner.

My colleague has just shared these steps :

below are the steps to re-install the licenses.

• -Please open backup Exec.
    • -On the top Left corner, please click on the backup Exec icon.
    • -Please select- INSTALLATION AND LICENSING
    • -Please select-INSTALL OPTIONS AND LICENSES ON THIS BACKUP EXEC SERVER
    • -The License Installation Wizard would open.
    • -Select the Licenses and Click on Remove.
    • -Once all the Licenses are removed from the Wizard.
    • -Close the Wizard and Navigate to X:/Program Data/Symantec Shared or Veritas shared/Licenses
    • -The Program data Folder might be a Hidden folder, if yes please enable the option show hidden Files and folders and then continue with the Navigation.
    • -Delete the Licenses Folder Completely.
    • Once you have downloaded the SLF file from Veritas entitlement management system, Please Open Backup Exec.
    • -If it requires to return the License Key, please return it and generate the new ones
    • -Once the New licenses with the SLF files have been generated from Veritas licensing portal please follow the steps below.
    • -On the top Left corner, please click on the backup Exec icon.
    • -Please select- INSTALLATION AND LICENSING
    • -Please select-INSTALL OPTIONS AND LICENSES ON THIS BACKUP EXEC SERVER
    • -The License Installation Wizard would open.
    • -Please select the option Import SLF file.
    • -choose the SLF file from the download Directory.
    • -once the Import is complete the License information would be populated on the Licensing Wizard.
    • -Continue with the Installation by clicking on Next.
    • -Once it has been complete you can view the License information from the Backup Exec Home Page.

Make sure as you RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR