cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify every job?

TR-BE2014
Level 5

If I understand correctly, verification is really more of a check of the storage system rather than the actual backup files. I do full backups weekly of about 10 TB to a dedupe device and then diff backups throughout the week. Since it's a single storage device, would it be reasonable to verify only the diff jobs? The verify for full jobs take longer than the backup jobs themselves, even on a brand new 2012 hardware server that I started using for backups last week.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Backup Exec doesn't care about the storage at all, and is unaware of what it is. It checks the data on media is consistent with the media just backed up. You should be running a Verify job as a separate job in order to prevent the backup job taking a long time. This way, files are backed up and the job exits, and then the Verify job kicks off on a different task. Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What makes you think that verification does not check the backup set?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Backup Exec doesn't care about the storage at all, and is unaware of what it is. It checks the data on media is consistent with the media just backed up. You should be running a Verify job as a separate job in order to prevent the backup job taking a long time. This way, files are backed up and the job exits, and then the Verify job kicks off on a different task. Thanks!