cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify/restore not working after applying hotfix 191248 (error E00084EC)

robnicholson
Level 6

Backup Exec 2010 R3 - has been stable for months. Applied latest hotfixes last week as part of planned maintenance and since then some dedupe backup jobs have started failing with error E00084EC during the verify stage. The backup step itself completes without error. I've done a search on this error code here and nothing obvious pops up - most of the references to this error are related to tapes and this is a disk-based deduplication folder.

I've tried the following:

1. Rebooting the BE server
  2. Re-installing the Backup Exec remote agent
  3. Re-configuring the deduplication target
  4. Re-creating the jobs from the policy

Worse, restore doesn't work either. The verify/restore job fails instantly.

It's a problem with deduplication storage alone. We've also got a B2D folder plus an LTO-3 tape drive and the same backup selection works fine with these two.

Any ideas before I raise a support call?

Thanks, Rob.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Branko_Stimac
Level 2

Hi Guys, this seems to have worked for me.

1. Find all OST's with the media label "?" or a blank media label in the Media tab. Mine were in "Offline media" and associate them with "Retired Media".

2. Remove Hotfix 191248 from Backup Exec using add/remove Programs.

3. Remove remote agents that have been updated to 5204.127 and reinstall 5204.125.

4. Take new full backups.

5. Test restore/duplicate/verify etc.

Previous backups will still not be able to restore/duplicate/verify but at least new ones will be fixed.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

robnicholson
Level 6

PS. Have done the post-requisites of upgrading the BE remote agent and running a full backup.

Cheers, Rob.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Are you able to remove the patch and then try again? I know some patches can't be removed...not too sure on this 1.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Yes you can uninstall the above patch mention by you please see details below, Uninstalling this hotfix: This hotfix can be uninstalled. For steps on how to uninstall a Backup Exec hotfix, refer to this technote, www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58187 Taken from this link, http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191248 Thanks

robnicholson
Level 6

I don't know how to remove a patch.

Cheers, Rob.

robnicholson
Level 6

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is due to corruption within the deduplication database and not with the individual servers/agents. I've just done a test backup of the BE catalog to dedupe and that has verified fine. The problem is with existing jobs whereby there will be existing data in the dedupe database.

It's a real shame that you can't set a flag on backup to say "force re-write of all blocks into the dedupe database".

Cheers, Rob.

Branko_Stimac
Level 2

Hi Guys, this seems to have worked for me.

1. Find all OST's with the media label "?" or a blank media label in the Media tab. Mine were in "Offline media" and associate them with "Retired Media".

2. Remove Hotfix 191248 from Backup Exec using add/remove Programs.

3. Remove remote agents that have been updated to 5204.127 and reinstall 5204.125.

4. Take new full backups.

5. Test restore/duplicate/verify etc.

Previous backups will still not be able to restore/duplicate/verify but at least new ones will be fixed.

robnicholson
Level 6

Oh why oh why oh why Branco - why didn't I read your post about two hours ago! I was convinced it was a corrupt deduplication database so I wiped the lot away (2.5TB over six months but we have recent tape & B2D backups as well) and the same problem has just occured.

I will try your suggestion now.

Cheers, Rob.

robnicholson
Level 6

Up voted Marco - worked a treat. Well at least on the low-priority server I tried it one - which wasn't working before. So am I right in saying Symantec have released a duff hotfix here??

Cheers, Rob.

robnicholson
Level 6

Yup - fixed across all jobs now. Have put a big message on our BE internal documentation page so say "Don't upgrade!".

Cheers, Rob.

robnicholson
Level 6

Of course, when I mark this as a solution, it's not really the solution which will have to be another hotfix from Symantec that fixes the bug introduced in the hotfix frown

I had a devil of a time getitng our paid for support contract recognised but I will have another go as Symantec do need to be aware of this. Unless there is a technote covering the issue.

Cheers, Rob.