cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verifying taking much longer that backup ?

Martin_Isabelle
Level 3
I have BE2010 installed on MS Windows 2008 R2. Backing up on SAS hard disk and appropriate 'agents' are enabled and installed.
Backup starts at 22:00 and completes without warning.  But verify starts at ~00:45 and proceeds until ~04:50.
I cannot understand why verify is taking so long.
Any assistance greatly appreciated,
Martin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the fragmentation of the SAS harddisk

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the fragmentation of the SAS harddisk

Martin_Isabelle
Level 3

No fragmentation on disk E: (where is data is located)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This may not be the problem, since the job ends at 04:50, but if you have Eject on End selected as part of your job, BackupExec will post an alert to "Remove tape and click OK" when it "ejects" the tape

Until that prompt is responded to, or the tape is physically ejected from the drive, the job clock keeps ticking

If this is the case, you can either remove that option, or set up an automatic response of "OK"

Martin_Isabelle
Level 3
My backup is on SAS disk.... no eject option

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Are there any other jobs running on your Backup server or remove agent servers that may slow down the backup ? For example antivirus scanning all files and mailboxes ?

Martin_Isabelle
Level 3
No AV installed and no other service or agent running...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Then I would suggest splitting your big job into multiple smaller ones.
It would be possible to see if one particular server is causing the slow verify.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Usually that should not take that much time while verifying as your backup is not that big.
As you know that while bacing up it creates the check sum and while doing verification it will compate the data which is already backed up(it doesn't look the original data while verification). So in your case it is the disk, so please format the  complete disk again or try to do the backup on a n/w disk or other disk to isolate the issue. I have seen the same behviour and had to replace the disk(in my case it was scsi disk)

teiva-boy
Level 6
You should try a larger allocation unit size when formatting, the largest possible/available.  This improves performance

Martin_Isabelle
Level 3
I will try too format the disk this weekend.  I will post the result soon.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Are you using deduplication on your backup2disk folder ?
As verifying deduplication data is slower then expected:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/342297.htm

Martin_Isabelle
Level 3

Before I decided to format my disk, Try do defrag with a "real" tool instead of the basic defrag that come from Windows. I used Diskkeeper.  This tool indicate that 100% of my disk was fragmented.  It was a totally different result from Windows defrag tool....

After the defrag with the new tool my analyze problem after my backup is corrected.  The analyze now take only 30min instead of 4 hours.  Plus a speed up my backup.

Now I understand that Windows default defrag tool is really a bad tool.

Thanks for your help guys,

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Don't you think the solution should have been marked to Collin Weaver who pointed it rightly?

Martin_Isabelle
Level 3

True I just correct my mistake.

I had the same issue: running backups to a network drive and the verify took 12+ hours and then lately, 48+ hours before cancelling.  What was puzzling me, though, was that for a 200G backup, the verify bit count was ever increasing to over a TB before I finally just cancelled the job.

But thanks for that solution.  I downloaded the trial version of Diskeeper Server Edition and clicked on the optimized button for my 4TB RAID 10 drive.  It was finished in 5 minutes.

I ran a backup last night and whadayahknow... it verified within a resonable (expected) period of time!

Thank again!