cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 backup catalogue/jobs/etc.. prior to migration to BE 12.5

dce_support
Level 3
I have a couple of questions this time around. 
How do you backup the database and catalogue under Veritas Backup Exec 9.1, and can this be imported into Symantec Backup Exec 12.5?

What do I need to remove from the Veritas server so that I can install the Backup Exec 12.5 remote agent. I want to get a full backup of the old server under the new software etc, just in case I need to restore anything from it at a later time. I think I am going to need to pull the old software off entirely, but I don't want to do that unless I have to. If I do need to perform an uninstall I want to make sure that I have backups of the catalogue and jobs, just in case I need to reinstall this software prior to the cutover. 

Some  background info:
Our backup server is currently a windows 2000 box using Veritas Backup Exec for windows servers version 9.1. We are upgrading the server to windows server 2008, with Symantec Backup Exec version 12.5 (The hardware is changing, but the name and IP address are remaing the same). This upgrade includes backup tape library and tapes. We are going from LTO2 to LTO4 tapes. I have the replacement unit set up, and the new Backup Exec software is running on it. I want to get the old server backed up under the new software, but the agents are incompatible. The server contains a great deal of mission critical information, so I need to make sure that whatever steps I take not only allow the server to continue to be backed up until the cutover, but also allow access to the prior month or so's backups in case we need to restore old information. 

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What I would do is take a good backup of the v9 server

Then grab the downloads for v10 and v11, install in demo mode (no serials) and also the v12 with serials

Then see http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319367.htm to move the setup to the new media server

You may need to edit jobs to point different backup devices (tape drives and/or B2D Folders(