cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas- Server Transition and Licensing

zoomer101
Not applicable

I recently transitioned a client to a virtual environment.  They are running veritas and it is still backing up important data on some of the old servers.  The old servers are Server 2003 and the new virtual servers are Server 2008.

What I need to know is the procedure to start backing up the new virtual mail server, using their existing environment.  Can I move the license from the old mail server to the new Virtual Server? Where do I obtain the client I need to install on the new server in order for the backups to work?

2 REPLIES 2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What is the current version of Backup Exec you have.

If you have determined the version, you can check the HCL if Windows 2008 or you new mail server (exchange??) is supported.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE licences are not machine-specific so they can be used on on any supported machine.  You just got to make sure that you have sufficient number of licences for your machines and applications.

The recommended way to install remote agents is to push them out from the media server.

Before you proceed further, I would STRONGLY suggest that you check that the version of BE that you are using support your new environment.  You do so by searching the Symantec KB for the SCL and the HCL for your version of BE and make sure that all the hardware and software are supported.  If not, you would have to upgrade BE.