cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas backup and the archive flag

Dipto
Level 3
 Hi guys,

As I understand it, Vertias backup uses the file's archive attribute in order to mark archived files. Makes sense!
However, we have a weird environment, and we actually have another app or two that use the archive bit for other purposes. Is there an easy way to configure Veritas backup to get around the use of the Archive file attribute?

Thanks

Dipto
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyon
Level 5
 Well I dont know of any other backup software including NTBACKUP that skips around the archive bits. The fact that you have other apps altering or working of archive bit I dont know  how you expect to backup you data  You can backup by modified time but you will need to either perform a FULL copy backup or FUll - using modified time then you can peform DIFF using modified time. The full must complete sucessfully since the file infomration is stored in the backup exec database.

The Full copy  - just backs up everything without resetting any archive bit. Im not sure what you mean by enterprise solution or thousand of seat. You have really presented what your scenerio is.  Have you look at replication products such as Symantec CPS or replication Exec. This will replicate the file ..not server without changing anything. You then can backup the replicated data up to tape, etc

Lyon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lyon
Level 5
 You can try the Full Backup by modified time or Full Copy.
That will backup the file according to method

Lyon

Dipto
Level 3
 Hi Lyon,

Is this an appropriate solution if this is an enterprise solution? Given that we tens of thousands of seats, it's a big concern if the approach requires a significant difference in resources to execute.

Thanks!

lyon
Level 5
 Well I dont know of any other backup software including NTBACKUP that skips around the archive bits. The fact that you have other apps altering or working of archive bit I dont know  how you expect to backup you data  You can backup by modified time but you will need to either perform a FULL copy backup or FUll - using modified time then you can peform DIFF using modified time. The full must complete sucessfully since the file infomration is stored in the backup exec database.

The Full copy  - just backs up everything without resetting any archive bit. Im not sure what you mean by enterprise solution or thousand of seat. You have really presented what your scenerio is.  Have you look at replication products such as Symantec CPS or replication Exec. This will replicate the file ..not server without changing anything. You then can backup the replicated data up to tape, etc

Lyon