cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas backups can't login to remote NetWare servers

Jeff_Marko
Level 3
I have a W2K server that is backing up several remote NetWare 5.1 servers using the Backup Exec for NetWare remote agent. The W2K server is running Veritas 9.1 rev 4691.

It has been running fine, albeit very slowly (my backups of Windows servers run 5 times as fast), but that isn't my immediate problem. For the past week, the backup job has been unable to login to the NetWare servers. When I try to create a new test job, using the same credentials, I get one of the two following errors during the job creation:

Logon account ".username.tree" failed to access "\\servername". The item was not found. I get this error if I use the distinguished name.

or,

Logon account "cn=username.o=tree" failed to access "\\servername". Access is denied. I get this error if I use the fully distinguished name.

I have been using an administrator account with full privileges/rights on the NetWare servers, and have tried a different account with administrator rights. I get the same errors with both accounts. I am able to login to the servers using both accounts, but they don't work in Veritas. I have tried stopping and restarting the backup agent on both servers to no avail. I have been unable to find a fix for this on Veritas' web site or in Google.

Anyone got ideas? Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Create an "admin" account as on the Netware server from "Network" > "logon accounts" on the Backup Exec media server.

Enter the full Server context e.g if the context is "veritas" then the account to be create din Backup Exec will be ".admin.veritas".

Give the same password as on the Netware server.

Edit the hosts file of both the servers. Add the IP and machine name of the BE media server to the hosts file of Netware server and vice - versa.

Click on "Tools" > "Options" > "Netware SMS". Add the IP Adress of the Novell machine in here.

Restart the Remote Agent and all Backup Exec services on the media server.

Hope it helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Jeff_Marko
Level 3
I will try that, and get back to you on Monday with results. Thanks.

Jeff_Marko
Level 3
No luck with the suggested fix. Same errors.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Jeff,

-Have you added IP address from bothe the servers in HOST files ? Is PING with IP and Name working ?

-CreateFile "ADVRTMS.DAT" under SYS:\ BKUPEXEC
Write in the IP Address of the Media Server

-Restart Remote agent and all Backup exec Services

-Refer the Technote given below :

After installing SP3 for Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows Servers or Hot fixes 24/30 for Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers, backups of remote NetWare servers fail with 'a000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server'.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279529

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.