cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas16 /Backup Exec 15

Fyzaan
Level 2

Here is the Issue:

I am using Backup exec 15 (14.2) V-Ray edition and using agentless methodology to take backup of my virtual infrastructure on Hyper-V platform. I am taking backup of virtual machines (11) splitting them in different in jobs with GRT enabled and agent installed on windows machine. I amusing Full backup and Increment strategy to keep 1-3 month data having full every month or every 3 months. I have SQL, SharePoint, Terminal and File Server in my environment. Issue s incremental backup I am receiving for these virtual machines are very high like for SQL 120-150 GB every incremental (Tried disabling and enabling SQL GRT no difference but if I disable file folder GT backup size reduces significantly but restore time increase due to compression but I need file folder GRT for my servers). I tried agent base backup for SQL and result was same despite checking taking SQL backup log after backup job feature enabled or not.

For share point VM size is 80 GB and actual data is 40 GB but incremental is 20-30 GB (only file folder GRT enabled) and same applies to terminal servers like 10 GB incremental and File Server which is also AD is creating 40-50GB incremental.

I thought may be there is some issue with tool and I upgraded it from BE 15 (14.2) to veritas 16 Trial and issue remain same. I hold backups by veritas and used another tool agent base backup and I was wondering hat backup size for full and incremental was very small like for SQL full only 70GB as compare to BE 15/Veritas 400 GB and Incremental 10GB as compare to 150 GB same applies to other servers.

I am wondering should I go for upgrade or simply move away from BE/Veritas as other product is working very fine.

Note: I have virtual infrastructure so I prefer to have VM base backups as it’s easy to manage and recover incase of any issue.

6 REPLIES 6

MilindP
Level 4

Hello,

What OS version for Hyper-V [Win 2012, Win 2012R2, Win 2016]?

Can you attach teh job log?

Are Integration services updated on all the VM's?

Are all the agents updates?

Does this happen for specific VM's or all Vm's?

If for specifc VM's then can you share the difference on how these VM's are configured in terms of Disks and other aspects?

Are you using the Faster processing method for Incremental Hyper-V backups Or the original method being called the Standard processing method

Thank you for your response. PLease see my answers below.

What OS version for Hyper-V [Win 2012, Win 2012R2, Win 2016]?

A: Win 2012R2

Can you attach teh job log?

A: attached

Are Integration services updated on all the VM's?

A: Yes. Integration Services are updated.

Are all the agents updates?

A: Yes. agents are updated.

Does this happen for specific VM's or all Vm's?

A: All VMs.

If for specifc VM's then can you share the difference on how these VM's are configured in terms of Disks and other aspects?

A: I have added hyper-v hosts and taking agent less backups for all machines including all disks no exceptions.

Are you using the Faster processing method for Incremental Hyper-V backups Or the original method being called the Standardprocessing method ?

Previously I was using Faster method and switching it to Standard didn't effect anything except it stopped creating more snapshots that is a big headache with Faster method as it was unable to remove snapshot and running every two hour backup job was creating like hundreds pe rmonth.

Note: I hav tested Veeam backup solution (Backup and replication) and it took backup of 400 GB SQL only in 70 GB and incrementals was few MBs only. I tested other mahcines and they was also very small size and very fast and loow size incrementals.

Faizan

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Based on those 3 job logs have you used Windows Explorer to look at the size of data contained in

IMG000709 (The full)

IMG000745 (Incremental)

IMG000749 (Incremental)

Juts in case the job logs are really reporting processed and not actual copied data counts

See attched file for the size of one of them 243 GB. Worst thign is it read less data but file it creates is like a Monster. I mean how can you plan your backup using or having such big Full, Incrementals and diffrentials. I will either there is somethign seriously wrong with my enviorment although they workign fine with other tools like ShadowProtect and Veeam or this tool Veritas is junk at all.

I have used it in past with Tape drive and it was good but I don't if they have made enough progreess for virtual enviorments.

Faizan 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Assuming you have a support agreement I think you should log a formal support case - we do have a lot of customer using incremnetals without issue and as such we may need a more in depth look at what is affecting you.

If i have that option i should never post it here. Issue is Veritas don't provide tech support on trial version nor with out license. I don't want to buy something which is not workign and vendor is not ready to provide support and community forum is even not helping but routing to support huh !

Will you buy a TV not working in store and being asked by sale person to buy it and it will work when you get home after paying it ? or you prefer a TV working fine in store from diffrent brand ? 

Faizan