cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertias Back up Exchange agent not working.

Cliffey
Level 3
Hi,
I've got a Windows Server 2003 setup with Exchange 2003 and a DLT drive installed.
My problem is when I attempt to back up exchange using the exchange agent I bought.
I can select the users mailboxes etc when setting up the job but I'm getting constant failures after each backup.
The errors I'm getting are...

Backup - \\GD-GLASGOWUnable to attach to \\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
Unable to attach to \\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
Backup - \\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process.
Database or database element is corrupt
Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process.
Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process.

Backup - \\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group WARNING: "\\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (GD-GLASGOW)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "\\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (GD-GLASGOW)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "\\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Log files" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

I'm not sure on what to do next with this, I've tried a standard backup through windows and that appears to complete successfully.

If anyone can help me resolve this issue id greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Andy C
7 REPLIES 7

Not applicable
I also have similiar problem, we are unable to backup Mailboxes - we get corruption errors when backing up mailboxes or the whole job does not run . Is this a Veritas problem -please advise .

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
I've heard of windows 2003 event logs being stored on drives other than the default causing the "Database or database element is corrupt" error. Are your exchange logs local or remote from the exchange server?

Sometimes the corrupt message comes up on mailboxes when corporate anti virus is interferring with the backups, you could try turning it off while the backup is running and see if that helps.

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Greetings !!

Yes, disabling anti-virus software does help sometimes.

In addition, refer following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/270459

Hope this helps.

Cliffey
Level 3
Ive Checked on microsofts website for the corrupt exchange DB error and it pointed to trying a offline Defrag of the Exchange Database. I tryed this but yet i still got the same errors.
Im going to be trying disabling the Anti-Virus on the server tonight while the bakcup is running.
Im hoping this solves the issue.

Thanks

Andy C

Cliffey
Level 3
I've gave disabling the Anti-Virus last night during the backup a go, but still no joy, getting all the previous errors I've shown before.
I'm going to have a go at deleting all the backup jobs and rebuilding them.
If anyone else has any ideas on how to solve this issue, ill very muchly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Andy C

Cliffey
Level 3
Im out out ideas now, its still not working.

For some reason im getting 2 notification emails on the job.

These are the errors im getting now.

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup - \\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process.

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup - \\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group WARNING: "\\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (GD-GLASGOW)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "\\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (GD-GLASGOW)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "\\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Log files" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Verify - \\GD-GLASGOW\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group WARNING: "Mailbox Store (GD-GLASGOW)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "Public Folder Store (GD-GLASGOW)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "Log files" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks again in advance

Andy C

Cliffey
Level 3
Ive managed to fix the problem.
After trying to rebuild the jobs and that failing to fix the issue, I tryed to disable the Verify data and that worked a treat.
Ive checked to make sure data can be retrieved and it worked fine as well.

Thanks again for all your help.

Andy C