cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Back-ups with BUEX 12.5

altmancos
Level 3

Fresh install with all updates on Windows 2003 sp2 server.  Dual Xeon Procs and 3gb RAM.  SCSI attached Quantum Ultrium LTO3 drive.  My backup is just under 520GB daily and it is taking anywhere from 17 - 18 hours to complete without running a verify.  The avg Job Rate is 448MB/Min.  This seems a bit rediculous.  All servers are connected through Netgear 10/100 switches.  Can anyone help me out with checking something on the backup job to speed this up?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You say:

I moved a 222MB file to the media server in 10 sec.   Transferring almost 8 MegaBytes/S.

In your first post you mention a speed of 448Mb/min. Count this to seconds is 7,4Mb/s.

This is an expected network thourghput on the network you have. To improve your backup speed you definitely have to upgrade your (core) network to gigabit.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Please let me know backupexec version with all updates & in that what backup you do like any application backup like Exchange .SQL or it is only file server backup .

Also how many server in all do you backup & all server are windows based or nowindows too

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should look through your job log and examine the job rate for each resource that was backed up.  This will enable you to narrow down the culprit.

altmancos
Level 3

BUEX 12.5 Rev 2213.  Exchange 2003, a few small SQL DBs, and 5 total 2003 servers.  The largest being the File Server.  Using VSS on all.  Throughput according to the Log ranges from 388 - 604 MB/M.  Average is 488 MB/M.  604 MB/M is on the Information Store.

Thanks.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

As per the PKH above post could you please attach the job log & select expand all in that atleast attach 2 job log when it was working fine & now when it is not working

So that we can compare which has the bottleneck

If this never has worked fine then may be you can open a case with symantec support so that they can trace were is the issue

Thank You

altmancos
Level 3

This is a fresh install.  The company was using some other back up solution.

Thanks.

altmancos
Level 3

I am also trying to back up just the File Server to a Network Attached Buffalo Terrastation.  It seems the transfer rate is will not go any higher than 140 MB/M using B2D.

altmancos
Level 3

Also, Can I run a B2D job the same time a backup to tape job is running?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It can, but I would not advice it. It will double your load on your network.
As your current servers are connected with 100mb/s your network will be the limit.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Test your network, copy a folder (with some large files) from a remote server to your backup exec media server.

Find out how fast it will copy your data, as this will be your maximum backup speed.

Also check if your antivirus program is not interfering with the backup.

altmancos
Level 3

AV is Symantec AV 10.1.8.8000. 

As I mentioned, I should still be running faster speeds on a 10/100 switch as that is per second.  So I can't believe the hardware is the issue.  The on board NICs are paired at 200 MB/S

I moved a 222MB file to the media server in 10 sec.   Transferring almost 8 MegaBytes/S.

altmancos
Level 3

The Quatntum Ultrium LTO3 drive is connected to the built in Smart Array 6i controller on the HP Proliant DL380 Server.  Could this be a limiting factor?

altmancos
Level 3

I'm going to turn off GRT and stop/start the services to see how it runs tonight.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Probably isn't affecting your throughput, but  Veritas/Symantec have alwas recommended that tape devices NOT be connected via RAID controllers

The controller should be dedicated to the tape drive (or at least the channel should contain only tape drives)   Doesn't even have to be a real high end controller to function well

altmancos
Level 3

Well I don't know what happened, but now my backup job is only running 140MB/M.  What the heck is that all about.

altmancos
Level 3

I put a tape in that was from a different backup software and is showing as Foreign Media.  Should I change this to some other Media Set?  Would this have anything to do with slowness?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

That just means that BackupExec knows that this tape was written by another application

When you relable or actually write BackupExec data to it, it will be moved to either scratch or the media set

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Guys,

I think the major bottleneck here is the 10/100MB network, which will directly affect the speed at which backups run.

Any easy way to confirm is to stop BE's services, and try an NTbackup.

THat said, what types of files are you backing up? If multiple small files, your tape drive is never going to run at a constant speed. It will have to write in a stop-start fashion until it gets to bigger files like Exchange for example.

You can consider backing up to disk as a test to rule out the tape drive as being a problem. However, also consider doing a backup to disk first, and then duplicating that to tape once it has completed. This is if you have the space on disk somewhere.

I have also included a TN for you to read over which go into slow backups in more details Give it a read...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH8326

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You say:

In your first post you mention a speed of 448Mb/min. Count this to seconds is 7,4Mb/s.

This is an expected network thourghput on the network you have. To improve your backup speed you definitely have to upgrade your (core) network to gigabit.

altmancos
Level 3

Very happy to report, I've moved all my servers to a GB switch and my backups went from 18 hours to 10 hours.  Not flyin, but it works for me.  Thank you everyone for your input.