Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow SharePoint Farm backup

nackros
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I´m backuping up a SharePoint Farm and gets only around 415MB/min. The current job has run for almost 18 hours now and has only backed up 415GB. The total data size of the farm is around 1TB.

This backup is a FULL job using farm backup. The Farm consists of one SharePoint 2013 server and the databases are on another server running SQL 2014.

Why is this backup running so extremely slow? All other backups run at around 4-6GB/min. I get this speed if I backup some files directly from either the sharepoint server or the sql server(same speed with database agent).

Is there any option in the Sharepoint Farm I might have selected that could cause this? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Its possibly due to GRT cataloging.

Are you backing up to Disk or Tape ?

Try applying FP3 as well - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH231892?

nackros
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your reply.

GRT cataloguing? Is that anything I can control or tweak so it works faster? Please explain.

I am backing up to disk only.

And I will apply FP3 when it shows up in LiveUpdate. Didn´t see anything there regarding Sharepoint though.

I got a suggestion that it might take this long because of the consistency checks(DBCC) on the databases. Could this really cause this much extra time? I will disable the checks ad test it after this current backup completes.

Any more suggestions?