cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow backup speed

hayball
Level 2

Hi, I have a strange problem and I have no solution on how to rectify it. We are running Symantec Backup Exec 2010 and backup about 2.5TB of data to a Quantam SDLT autoloader. The issue is that speed will vary considerably from one backup to the next, even though there is no change in selections, time of backup or quantity of data. A full backup has just completed and the job rate was an acceptable 700 MB/min, however now the next week's tapes have gone in and the same backup has re-commenced, the job rate starts and stays at only 200 MB/min - it never gets any faster and at this rate, it is touch and go as to whether the backup finishes.

It only ever seems to run quickly after a fresh application install, after that it just chugs along at the 200MB/min mark, on every subsequent backup. I thought it was maybe the tapes, so this time around I used two new sets of tapes, removed and re-installed the application and as I expected the first backup went at an acceptable speed of about 700 MB/min, and now the next backup is down to a very slow 200MB/min - both sets of tapes are brand new.

I am at a loss as to why this is happening, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

1 REPLY 1

hayball
Level 2

Well, the speed did not increase, so I stopped the job. Removed BE 2010, re-installed, re-inventoried the drive (with the same set of tapes), restarted the job and it is now flying along at over 2000 MB/min - nothing has changed, apart from re-install of the BE application.

Any ideas? Oh forgot to mention, OS is Windows Server 2003 Standard.

Matt