cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View changes to job definitions before upgrading to BE2014

YonatanC
Level 5
Hi, We're using BE 2010 R3 SP4 and considering upgrading to BE 2014. We backup more than 100 servers each night and on weekend and almost every server got it's own seperate backup job definition, so we have A LOT of jobs defined. I know that at the end of the uprade you get a migration report stating all the changes to the jobs and schedules. Is there a way to run some kind of migration tool that can give me a report about changes that are going to occure WITHOUT having to acctualy upgrade? I'm trying to decide what would be less painfull - to upgrade the current server and deal with all the job changes or making a fresh install on a new server and defining EVERYTHING from scratch? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I chose the option to install a Backup Exec server. Then a splash screen appears which loads/processes files, post which the EULA appears.

Now, I choose the option of local installation and the environment check runs. Post this one gets the option to add licenses/options. Then one has to enter the credentials and the install path. I get a screen to acknowledge the summary and the DB is backed up. Migration starts.

Once the migration completes, i get an option to view the migration report in a browser. Here, if i chose to cancel, the process rolls back. And if choose to acknowledge yes, the upgrade continues and completes.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

The Environment Check MAY do the check, but I havent seen anything that advises you when doing an upgrade:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO98848#v53887681

Thanks!

CraigV

To add...BE will change, add or keep your existing jobs...what you're looking for is the Migration Report:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99567#v65844769

Thanks!

YonatanC
Level 5
But the Migration Report is something that only comes up after the upgrade is complete: "After the migration completes, Backup Exec displays the Migration Report ..." I don't want to go through the entire upgrade just to find out it messed up all my jobs and that it should've been better off installing it from scratch...

CraigV

...well, it would make sense to have it at the beginning of the job, and if it doesn't exist, try adding this as an Idea in that section:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Well, during the upgrade process you can view the migration report. Only when you acknowledge this report, does the upgrade continue, else not.

CraigV

Verbatim from the TN I posted:

"Symantec recommends that you review the Migration Report thoroughly to determine how your existing jobs have changed and how you may need to adjust your jobs manually. The Migration Report is available for viewing from the Backup Exec Administration Console or the Home tab at any time after the migration completes."

This implies that the upgrade will have to complete before viewing the report. If the TN is incorrect, then it needs to be ammended.

Thanks!

YonatanC
Level 5
Hi VJware, Are you saying this from your own experience?

VJware
Level 6

Verbatim from the Admin Guide:-

After the migration completes, Backup Exec displays the Migration Report that you must review and acknowledge before Backup Exec continues the upgrade process.

And just tested an upgrade. During the upgrade, I got to view the migration report and the upgrade continued only i chose to acknowledge it else i could cancel the upgrade.

YonatanC
Level 5
OK, so for sure, no changes are made to the system until you acknowledge the report? Can you please elaborate a bit on the steps prior to the Migration Report? It's just that we only have one BE server which is very critical and I would won't to mess it up for no reason... Thanks

VJware
Level 6

I chose the option to install a Backup Exec server. Then a splash screen appears which loads/processes files, post which the EULA appears.

Now, I choose the option of local installation and the environment check runs. Post this one gets the option to add licenses/options. Then one has to enter the credentials and the install path. I get a screen to acknowledge the summary and the DB is backed up. Migration starts.

Once the migration completes, i get an option to view the migration report in a browser. Here, if i chose to cancel, the process rolls back. And if choose to acknowledge yes, the upgrade continues and completes.