cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Based Backup in BE15

Bachchan
Level 6

I am running server 2012 R2 on which Hyper v is enabled. The name of the machine is A. I have a guest VM say B which I want to backup. when I go to BE15 console select B and Hit Backup I get the message Virtual based backup(recommended) which I want to use instead of Agent based but when I select virtual based backup the next windows i get is which virtual host the VM is associated with with the name of the host A and add button. I dont get B to backup.

Am I missing anystep? pls help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

For Virtual agent backups against either VMware of Hyper-V you select the Host (Hyper-V Host or vCenter/ESXi host) for the backup and then you use the selection list tree to find the VMs you want to backup in the job. Have you actually tried expanding Machine A's selection list to see if you can see details of Machine B under a Hyper-V container?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6

A virtual-based backup requires the virtual host to be first added to the Backup & Restore server list. Once that is done, you can setup a backup job to backup the VMs which belong to that virtual host.

What you are seeing is expected behavior. Add the host (machine A) first and then you can select B for a virtual based backup.

Vjware I did added the host machine(A) as well as virtual machine(B) and both are showing in the console. But when I select B it does not get selected......it selects machine A. I dont know what to do.......

Also wanted to add that when I select Agent based backup it gives me the option to backup machine B but not with the Virtual based backup..........

Colin_Weaver

For Virtual agent backups against either VMware of Hyper-V you select the Host (Hyper-V Host or vCenter/ESXi host) for the backup and then you use the selection list tree to find the VMs you want to backup in the job. Have you actually tried expanding Machine A's selection list to see if you can see details of Machine B under a Hyper-V container?